Light-O-Rama Forums

communication wire for lor

Guest guest

will this wire work it has eight strands the colors are #1 solid blue --- #2 BLUEand WHITE #3 brown and white #4brown # 5green #6 green and white # 7 orange and white # 8 orange here is what is written on the outside of the cable nordx/cdt ( l ) ibdn gigaflex1212 apr/24---- c ( e t l ) us cmr verified etl cat5e 040325 23:37b 2feet o meters if so what size ends would you need and what order should the wires be in ?????? thank you Blair

the standard order would be... white orange/orange, white green,blue,white blue/.green,white brown/brown....... but that is the technical way.... but dan is right as long as both ends are the same.

The connectors you use for it are called RJ45 connectors and there is a special crimping tool for them. It is all the same as for network and telephone wiring, so you could find the stuff at electrical supply houses or Home Depot.

But, you can always just buy some cheap phone cords at WalMart...

I just bought another 50pk of RJ45's and they are not cheap by any means... Neither is the tool...

I would think that by the time you bought everything, it would be just cheaper to buy some phone cords... Because, I do believe that phone cords serve the same purpose...

Anyway, PM me if you want me to make some cords...

Give me length and quantity and I'll wire some up for you for a small fee to cover shipping and cost of the plug...

(I'm in a giving mood this week... ) :D

Sysco - the cable you describe is a category 5e, and the wiring order that dave gave you is correct for TIA568B wiring. (The order if the wires is important for minimizing crosstalk between the pairs, if anyone is interested) If you are going to put the ends on yourself, be sure to ask for RJ45 plugs (that you are going to crimp on) for SOLID WIRE, not STRANDED WIRE. To the untrained eye, these two types of connector look alike, but they are engineered differently, and if you use a plug made for stranded wire on a cable with solid conductors (which I believe you are), you are likely (though not guaranteed) to have problems. Should be no difference in cost. One last thing - the order of the wired DOES make a difference at higher transmission speeds. I'm not sure that LOR will see the difference with the protocol that it uses to talk to the controllers though.

D.T.

LightORama wrote:

Sounde like cat5e cable which will work fine. There are some standard orders to put the wires in BUT it really doesn matter as long as they are the same at both ends.

Dan
I know you said "it really doesn matter as long as they are the same at both ends" but was wondering which pins are transmit and which are receive?
Ethernet uses 1 & 2 for transmit and 3 & 6 for receive (the others are not used), since I am going to be building the cables anyway, I would like to ensure one twisted pair is used for transmit and one for receive.

Also if it is not that critical, could one use phone wire with 2 sets of twisted pairs with RJ45's instead of Cat5E for cost savings? (I still have my 1000 ft roll of Cat5E and will use it) but for others it might be an option.

Bill

gremler wrote:

Also if it is not that critical, could one use phone wire with 2 sets of twisted pairs with RJ45's instead of Cat5E for cost savings? (I still have my 1000 ft roll of Cat5E and will use it) but for others it might be an option.

Bill

I'm not sure of the technical aspects of doing that. I would say to anyone who might think of doing something like this, "It could make troubleshooting issues more difficult." In fact, anything that isn't 'standard' could make it more difficule to troubleshoot.

It's just food for thought. There are ways to save money, but there are some things you should try and spend the money on to do right. In my opinion, cables are one of those things. (Others have their opinions which may differ from mine.)

gremler wrote:

Dan
I know you said "it really doesn matter as long as they are the same at both ends" but was wondering which pins are transmit and which are receive?
Ethernet uses 1 & 2 for transmit and 3 & 6 for receive (the others are not used), since I am going to be building the cables anyway, I would like to ensure one twisted pair is used for transmit and one for receive.

Ahhh... good point Bill ... Yes to take advantage of the twisting of twisted pair you do want your com to run over a pair of wires.

So your pairs should be pins ( 1,2 ) ( 3,6) (4,5) (7,8)

LOR only used the 4 center pins ( 3,4,5,6 ) on the cable. Communications is on the center pair, pins (4,5) That pair is both send and receive( RS485 is half-duplex which means that it can only transmit in one direction at a time ). The other used pair, pins 3,6) are used to transmit power on the cable. That power is used to power remote devices like the SC485...

I've wired up my whole house for CAT5E networking. Of course I did this exactly 6 months before all the residential wireless routers hit the market, but hey, now I'm wired and can use the cables for other things like whole house audio, IR blasting... etc.

Anyway, I digress.. here are some basics.

Standard old fashion phone wire is 2 pair (usually Red/Green and Black/Yellow). The standard phone connector is known as an RJ11. Typically in phones The pins are as follows

2/3 = Red/Green 1/4 = Black/Yellow (the order doesn't really matter. you can reverse red/green or black/yellow. Just don't break up the pairs).

Just know that Pins 3/4 are usually your main phone line (2 center pins). Pins 1/4 would be used for a 2nd line if you have a two line phone.

Now a CAT5E connection has 4 pairs of wires (8 wires total). The standard color pairs are: Green/white with green; Brown/ white with brown; Orange/White with orange; Blue/White with blue.

I'm not going to mention the pinouts since a post above already has it.

The specific question was can you use a phone cable and an phone connector (RJ11) in the RJ45 space on the boards boards since you only need 2 pair. My answer is that I would not suggest it.

I you really didn't want to spend on CAT5 cable, I would still wire the 2 conductor (4 wire) cable to an RJ45 connector. Just make sure you insert the wires in the correct pins. (Note: It takes a bit of practice to get them right). Just don't crimp down until you are sure!

I would also make sure you clearly LABEL the wire as a special setup.

That's my long-winded explanation. I hope it helps.

MichaelC wrote:

The specific question was can you use a phone cable and an phone connector (RJ11) in the RJ45 space on the boards boards since you only need 2 pair. My answer is that I would not suggest it.
Actually I believe my question was could you use twisted pair phone wire in conjuction with RJ45 connectors, and now that Dan has said that pins 4 & 5 are used for communications and 3 & 6 are used for power, I think that yes will work, and work just fine.

Bill: My apologies, I thought you were trying to use the twisted pair cable with an RJ11 Male plug into an RJ45 female. I've found that while it 'may' work, the connector is loose and does not keep a good connection.