Light-O-Rama Forums

Help with LED's- thoughts

Gary N

I live in northern Wisconsin, on a busy highway, ROAD SALT is killing me. Salt spray from the wet highway floats in the air and is causing major problems with my lights. I had static displays in the passed, with big box LEDs, which the salt would rust them out in two seasons. So 2015 when I started with LOR, I was in for the long hall, I bought all sealed bulb LEDs so I would not have any problems. Not the case, I have a few sets that salt water jumped between the fuses in the plug and poped the fuses, and burnt a hole across the plastic between the fuses, which were fixable. I have three sets that shorted, can not find anything wrong with them, mositure must have gotten in to the inline refacters. Any thoughts on my problem.  I am at the point of giving up on the whole display.

Also I have my display on youtube, first year.   GSN Christmas Lights

Gary

High quality sealed leds, 120 sets my first year, 200 in all. The funny thing is 90 sets were bought used from a garage sale site, no problems with them. Six sets of 30 brand new sets were the ones I am having problem with. I e-mailed the site where I got the new ones and they have not replied back yet, one year 2 mouths , I am sure they will not back them.

Gary

I buy all my leds from Holiday lights express  some are going on six years old never had any fail   but they are not the cheapest .

Where in northern Wisconsin are you located?   We live in the Milwaukee area but we have a cabin in Minocqua (sorry for the off topic result).   

I don't think it is proximity to the road getting you. LED lights use steel connectors and they corrode super easy. Incandescent lights used copper and lasted longer. As mentioned above getting sealed lights with last longer, but will cost more. I've been buying el-cheapo after Christmas sale lights and then replacing them more often. Although for lights that are off the ground I've found they last longer.

18 hours ago, jrock_at_rons said:

Where in northern Wisconsin are you located?   We live in the Milwaukee area but we have a cabin in Minocqua (sorry for the off topic result).   

Phillips, about 40 mins west of Minocqua, Hwy 13

2 hours ago, jstorms said:

I don't think it is proximity to the road getting you. LED lights use steel connectors and they corrode super easy. Incandescent lights used copper and lasted longer. As mentioned above getting sealed lights with last longer, but will cost more. I've been buying el-cheapo after Christmas sale lights and then replacing them more often. Although for lights that are off the ground I've found they last longer.

I am using all sealed LED's, the sets that I had a problem with are being replaced by the supplier.  I am going to try the dialectric grease in the plugs. The salt spray is so bad, my windows on my house are white by mid winter.  When I was using incandescent lights the copper would turn green. Its just something I have to live with. The only positive thing is being on the Hwy, I am very visable to all. Very positive response from all for my first year with LOR.

Are you taking the lights down right after Christmas or leave them up until the snow melts?  I try to get my down shortly after New Years and will leave them dry out completely in the basement before putting away.  Trying to keep the plugs cleaned with grease would help.

1 hour ago, mcha said:

Are you taking the lights down right after Christmas or leave them up until the snow melts?  I try to get my down shortly after New Years and will leave them dry out completely in the basement before putting away.  Trying to keep the plugs cleaned with grease would help.

I dont get to taking down the lights until around march, or until the snow does melt. Being northern Wisconsin, the snow can be very deep until the end of the winter, it does not melt, it just keeps building up. A lot of my trees and my house I have to use a ladder to put up and take down. I now have been starting nov 1 because of the time it takes to put everything up, I have around 200 sets of lights. And besides the snow, its F----n cold up here. It took around 25 hours to take everything down, double to put up, I'am sure you know. I also have been running the lights in a static display until mid Feb., changing it up every few weeks, thats another plus with LOR. I do wash everything down, and go though it before I put it away. I guess it wasn't all that bad this year, I should expect to have to replace some each season, I'am just tring to prevent a large failure, and get some wisdom from the vets.

mcha,  should have looked earilier, Geen Bay, you know how it is up here, you are getting a foot of snow right now, nothing here.  3-23-16

Gary

Edited by Gary N

I have usually been lucky enough to get them out of the snow (most is on the house or yard fixtures) before it gets too deep here. But there are often a couple of extension cords in the yard come spring. My bigger problem is to get the cords picked up off the ground before the voles get them. You need to find a salt repellant that you can coat your strings with!

I'll have to keep an eye out for your display as we travel through on our way to Cable each winter.  Are you north or south of town?

Just updated the weather here - Blizzard warning until tomorrow, 12+ with 40 mile winds. Winter is still here.

Edited by mcha
added content
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, mcha said:

I have usually been lucky enough to get them out of the snow (most is on the house or yard fixtures) before it gets too deep here. But there are often a couple of extension cords in the yard come spring. My bigger problem is to get the cords picked up off the ground before the voles get them. You need to find a salt repellant that you can coat your strings with!

I'll have to keep an eye out for your display as we travel through on our way to Cable each winter.  Are you north or south of town?

Just north of down town Phillips, still in the city, Hwy 13 and W. If you are driving on 13 you will not miss my display, right by the Moble station( or the R-store).

• The topic was locked