Light-O-Rama Forums

empty c-9 sockets lines

saxon

What do you do with empty c9 sockets that WILL be exposed to the elements? Is it ok to leave them or should they be protected with c9 caps/plugs? My project will require I leave every other socket empty unless I make a custom line with vampire c9 sockets.

Does anyone have experience with vampire c9 sockets? Any trouble with making a C9 socket line?

Leaning towards the latter, I know I have seen them but cant recall where, can someone point me to an SPT wire and vampire plugs/sockets vendor?

I have had no trouble with them so far. I made custom cords for my display and have over 100 strobes using them thru out the yard. I took a pair of welding vise grips and cut about 1 1/4" square 14 guage metal plates and clamped a socket with a plate on each side of it in the vise grips and aligned everything up, then I tack welded the plates to the vise grips so when I was putting a socket together I had the proper angle to clamp and seat the bottom into the socket. The other thing I done was to put a little hot glue on the bottom of the socket before I "crimped" the base into it. This has worked well for me.

I have not bought any sockets for a year or two to know who has them and at a good price.

Wayne

Saxon I have a couple hundred c9 sockets for spt 2 wire never used you can have for shipping cost switched to all pixels 

2 hours ago, Wayne K said:

I have had no trouble with them so far. I made custom cords for my display and have over 100 strobes using them thru out the yard. I took a pair of welding vise grips and cut about 1 1/4" square 14 guage metal plates and clamped a socket with a plate on each side of it in the vise grips and aligned everything up, then I tack welded the plates to the vise grips so when I was putting a socket together I had the proper angle to clamp and seat the bottom into the socket. The other thing I done was to put a little hot glue on the bottom of the socket before I "crimped" the base into it. This has worked well for me.

I have not bought any sockets for a year or two to know who has them and at a good price.

Wayne

Good to know.

I was thinking of making a tool similar to what you described. If you could send a pic that would be great, Thanks for the tip!!. 

2 hours ago, Dennis Laff said:

Saxon I have a couple hundred c9 sockets for spt 2 wire never used you can have for shipping cost switched to all pixels 

A very gracious offer, thank you and I will take you up on that! I can do you a little better than just shipping for your trouble. SPT2 will be perfect for I found some brown SPT2 wire that will blend in to the roof tiles nicely. I will PM you my address.

I will have about 50 strobes on the roof, few dozen below. I have all pixels, but a new 16 channel controller I never use except for my radio sign. My goal this year was to take advantage of this excellent controller and add some A/C props.

Does anyone know a good way to attach these c9 to ceramic roof tiles? I have found some clip designed for this but they look a little dubious.

Using C9 vampire sockets is a great way to re-purpose rabbit-chewed extension cords too. 

Vampire sockets are what light string manufacturers use.  No reason they wouldn't work for you.  It's nice to be able to custom make cords with the lights just where you want them.  

When making them, a bench vise is the best way I've used to squeeze the cap to the socket.

21 hours ago, saxon said:

Good to know.

I was thinking of making a tool similar to what you described. If you could send a pic that would be great, Thanks for the tip!!. 

A very gracious offer, thank you and I will take you up on that! I can do you a little better than just shipping for your trouble. SPT2 will be perfect for I found some brown SPT2 wire that will blend in to the roof tiles nicely. I will PM you my address.

I will have about 50 strobes on the roof, few dozen below. I have all pixels, but a new 16 channel controller I never use except for my radio sign. My goal this year was to take advantage of this excellent controller and add some A/C props.

Does anyone know a good way to attach these c9 to ceramic roof tiles? I have found some clip designed for this but they look a little dubious.

Saxon

Sorry I don't have any pics I can send you. I am building a new garage and that tool is boxed up some where.

Wayne

np wayne. I had an epiphany after I asked, I know exactly what you are talking about. Thanks

• The topic was locked