Light-O-Rama Forums

HDPE Pipe

Ralph A

13 hours ago, k6ccc said:

I built my arches using 3/4 inch PEX from Home Depot with CCP pixels spaced every 2 inches.  I was quite happy with the result.  Pics and description on construction at:  http://newburghlights.org/CCP_Arches.html

Video that includes the arches:  http://newburghlights.org/Videos.html  (The arches are not used a lot in this song and don't start until about 40 seconds in, but show what they look like).

I like the looks of that. Last year I used landscape edging but that leaves the pixels exposed and does not give the same effects as yours does. I am not willing to pay shipping on the hdpe pipe and pex I can get at my local harware store. After seeing these I am heavily considering going to pex for my arches as I want to keep using bullet pixels and not strips. Is the pex you used white? It appears to be.

2 minutes ago, ebrown1972 said:

I like the looks of that. Last year I used landscape edging but that leaves the pixels exposed and does not give the same effects as yours does. I am not willing to pay shipping on the hdpe pipe and pex I can get at my local harware store. After seeing these I am heavily considering going to pex for my arches as I want to keep using bullet pixels and not strips. Is the pex you used white? It appears to be.

Thank you very much.

It's the white "SharkBite" brand from Home Depot.  It is milky white.  It's available in 10 foot sections from Home Depot in 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch, and 100 foot rolls in 1/2 through 1 inch.  I bought a 100 foot roll of 1 inch and never could get it straightened out well enough no matter what I tried.  I would have preferred to use the 1 inch if I could have, but the 3/4 inch worked out fine.

16 hours ago, dan24438 said:

don't tell me that lol. I put 60/60's in my new arches. My old arches were the highlight of my display maybe with the 60's being overpowering it will add that much more of a wow factor.

Most everybody is using the 60/M. When I ordered my strips last year, I ordered the 30/M because I didn't know it was the other. I'm sure 60 will be fine.

A word of warning, if anybody receives the tubing before the pixels, let it sit. Don't start cutting assuming you know the length you need. (This is from experience).

Oh, and on the SharkBite PEX, there is a cream color and a white color. Make sure you get the white. The cream doesn't look as nice. I did the upper pixels on my garage last year using the PEX and pixels inserted in a drilled hole, like Jim did his arches.

Edited by Ron Boyd

1 hour ago, k6ccc said:

Thank you very much.

It's the white "SharkBite" brand from Home Depot.  It is milky white.  It's available in 10 foot sections from Home Depot in 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch, and 100 foot rolls in 1/2 through 1 inch.  I bought a 100 foot roll of 1 inch and never could get it straightened out well enough no matter what I tried.  I would have preferred to use the 1 inch if I could have, but the 3/4 inch worked out fine.

Thanks for that info. If I decide to go this route I will see if my store has it in 10 foot sections. It would never have crossed my mind that I might have issues with it being rolled up. Thanks again.