Light-O-Rama Forums

LED Video Wall Problems

AFISHAL

Hi guys, 

I could really do with some expert help please if anyone has the time.
I built a video wall, made up of 16 separate rectangular panels (LED matrices). Using WS2811 LED's, controlled by a T-200K unit, receiving image data from my laptop via an ethernet cable (laptop is using LED Edit 2013) to then be displayed on the matrices.
It works, kind of.... Any thoughts as to why my 16 LED matrices work perfectly on a simple RGB colour change pattern, but not on a more complex pattern.
I've put together a 30 second video to show you what I mean: https://youtu.be/cKM7DfVKCwA 

Should I be using LOR products for this instead?

Any suggestions would be hugely appreciate, Im stumped.

Are you sure that you have not exceeded the maximum pixel count for the controller?

Sometimes they will go over but you will see slow refresh rates, glitches, random flashes and corrupt data causing flashing.

Also you could have one bad pixel, corrupting the data.

If it is easy, remove the section where the strange strobing starts.

If possible, slow down the SPI speed.

What are you using it for? It looks like an electronic drum set.

Maybe an E1.31 controller and Madrix or some other DJ software would be better.

It could even be a bad output on the controller.

Thanks for your help! 

Im definitely I'm not exceeding the max, there are 8 output ports and one port can support 512-1024 pixels. The max a port has to deal with is 276

I should probably also have said that the 16 matrices are paired (wired) together. From (camera) right to left 1 to 16. With 1&2 paired and so on. Each matrix has its own power and ground but the digital cable wires each pair together in series.

I can't seem to find a way to control the SPI in LED Edit, and The T-200K doesn't have any changeable options other than 8 DIP switches on the side.

I use it for my live shows, I'm a DJ/drummer and built this 'large visual midi controller' so I can perform the music and graphics live rather than just pressing play.

It could definitely be a bad pixel, I'll look into that somehow. It could also be the controller yes. Both good options thank you i'll test to see if thats the case.

Any other suggestions also welcome!

I would check the Data/Clock lines going to the pixel strings.  I would guess the ones that are not displaying correctly are getting glitches/ringing/noise that is causing your issue.

Im not actually using the clock line, could that be an issue in itself?

The data lines seem to be ok as they work fine with my Arduino (the T-200K was an upgrade so I can display realtime video across the rig). They also work on that simple pattern absolutely fine as you can see in the vid. Surely a damaged data line would cause interference on any pattern?

Depends... the controller may not refresh the pixels as often with a static color vs a pattern that is continuously updating.  It's a place to start.  Pixels havedata rates up to 800 Kbps.

The clock signal is not used by all pixels.