Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller Stands

zvacman

I've been in my second year since November.  Last year I had 5 controllers on stands that I built from angle iron and rebar. This year I am adding at least 10 more control boxes that I need to build stands for.  Serious cost saving measure ahead......... Good Will and other agencies get way more bed frames donated than they could ever sell so they throw them in the free receptacle behind their buildings.  I say potatoe you say potaatoe, I say free receptacle you say dumpster.  All I know is that it cut the cost of building stands down to $5.00 each, single or double. I'll try to put pictures up but it seems everything I have is to large to post.

Z

image.jpg

Damn.  Would like to see some more detailed (and enlarged) pics.  I've been using wooden stakes, and have been trying to come up with a better way.

Dcroc:

The stands that I am building first off require welding, so if have the ability to do so continue as follows:

Cut two pieces of 1/2" rebar to 36" and one to 11" for single or 23" for a double controller stand

Cut the angle iron or bed frame to 12" for the top and 11" for the bottom for single or 24" top and 23" bottom for a double.

On the first double stand that I made I cut the bottom angle iron to 24" and notched it for more surface to weld to but found that it wasn't necessary.

The distance between your angle iron depends on the boxes you are using. I have firm soil so I put the bottom rebar at 10" up from the bottom. I'll try to attach

pictures, but as I mentioned earlier most of my pictures are to large.

Z

zvacman

your pics are good. Just had to look at it a little to see it was actually leaning up against your garage door...

Maybe just a pic where it is shown without seeing the brackets, garage door strips in the back would help some see what you are talking about.

Just a thought from looking at your pic...

If someone doesn't weld maybe they could drill a couple holes in the bed frame that the controller mounts on and secure it to the re bar with a couple U Bolts.. That would just require them to cut the frame and re bar with a saw and then drill a couple holes to put in the u bolts or even clamp it if they do not want to leave the re bar legs connected to it.

Sarge:

I suppose there are a lot of ways to do them.  I weld them because I obviously have a welder.  The more hardware and such that is used the higher the price gets, I was pointing out the cost effectiveness of my method.  My stands and controllers don't need to be disassembled because storage isn't an issue for me. 

Z

* Like us on FaceBook "Light up Petoskey"

Z

I was looking at your picture and thought why not use the bed frame for it all, don't even need to purchase rebar that way. I think I am going to use your idea of the free angle, great idea by the way. Thanks for the free metal idea, Keith

Edited by Kapkirk

Kapkirk:

If your soil is soft enough that would definitely work.  Up here in the great white north it is all I can do to pound 1/2" rebar into the ground.  I actually have a piece of scrap rebar that I need to pound pilot holes with so I don't  have to beat the crap out of the stands to get them set. Our soil here freezes to the consistency of concrete often before it's time to start putting the controllers out.  On one hand I wish I lived somewhere warm, on the other hand the snow makes the show look so much better.

Z

Z

Ah Hah, wouldn't have thought about that, here in Florida its the opposite usually, the sandy soil is so easily drivable and soft that the normal ground anchor doesn't always work, like the 2 foot anchors I received in my Mega tree kit, will have to replace or devise another type anchor to deal with the soft sandy soil.

Funny how you get used to conditions in your area and they change all sorts of things. Anyhow, great money saving idea, metal is getting so expensive along with everything else, surprised Goodwill and others haven't found a way to sell the scrap, like you used to get railway timbers or mulch for free, then someone finds a market for it.

Keith

I have a couple I made with support s on the bottm so I can just sit them where i want them. I do have a couple that I put in the exact same area each display.. I put 1 1/2 ft long PVC in the gound and cap it when its not in use.

When I use it I just take the cap off and the Rebar slides perfect into it.

I wasnt meaning to step on your idea and your design. Just some people are stressed at times for storage space and was just giving them another idea if they needed it.

I also have a wire feed welder but there are many out there who do not and have no idea how to weld, hense the idea of using u bolts, clamps etc.

Sarge:

I didn't feel that way at all, we're all here to help each other.  My post should have been titled $5 and 10 minute controller stands.  I've seen all kinds of stands out there all of which cost more and take more time to do.  My favorite feature on mine is the ability to padlock them to a cable for security purposes.  I live in a subdivision in a rural virtually crime free area but I still feel better locking the expensive stuff up.

Z