Light-O-Rama Forums

Smart pixel icicles

Need more lights

I'm thinking about making some. Has anyone made them and if so how did you do it? I was thinking about nodes in  5-4-3-4-5 pattern but maybe strips would be better? I've seen nodes in dumb style but not smart. And the only smart I've found was strips in an all 5 pattern, looks plain but also doubled as a mini matrix which is cool too. Any input would be great!

3 hours ago, saxon said:

Wow! Thats scary! just what I envisioned as nodes and all made already! Right color wire/count and everything. 

46 minutes ago, plasmadrive said:

This has me thinking....You did a beautiful job on those and there is something about homemaid that has a kind of satifaction like no other. Thank you for the detailed discription, it really shows it all. I really like these, and I've already done the math.(not cheap LOL) I don't know which way to go, nodes or strips. One is easy/quick and inexpensive, the other packs a punch but is a labor of love and pricey. I got some thinking to do. Thank you both! 

I made some.

I was pleased with them. They look good, especially from a distance, and some very nice effects can be done.

This particular song doesn't use it much, but each pixel is controllable, not the whole strand.

I had my Pixlite controller configured incorrectly and everything was 1 pixel out for a few days, as I had set it as 100 pixels, not 99, and it was in reverse.

I might make some to go on the top guttering. If I did it again I would do it with at least 5 pixels on every strand (Down).

I recently saw a house with pixel icicles all round their house, and it looked really impressive. They also had their whole driveway as a giant pixel matrix!

http://boscoyostudio.com/products/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_6&products_id=2

Get you some of these and node style pixels, either Bullet or Square. Create however many node drops you want. Makes awesome icicles.

I don't have any pics of mine, but if you look at my videos from 2015 you can see them in action (website in signature). My actual icicles are 30 drops with 10 pixels each. I also have 10 pixel tubes made with PEX above the icicles. I was very satisfied with the outcome.

This is one of my projects for the year and I'm ging with led strips.

Looked around for transluscent/frosted pvc pipe and kind of pricey.  Had some natural colored corrugated plastic I used for some light boxes and am able to fold strips of it, into a 1.5" square tube.  It provides realy good diffusion.  Found some silcon end caps that will stretch over the ends of my square tubes.

Got a string of pixels to practice with a new e6804. Played around with several configurations in the CP tube I made and while the loos was nice, believe using strips will be nicer. Thought about modules but would be more expensive than strips.

All my tubes will be the same liength.  Will use xlight/nutscracker to o prougram some effects.  Will be able to get the dripping icicle look along with some other nice effect by keeping the tubes the same length.

Yep, I thought the same thing about the strips. I spent 2 months in the evenings and on Saturdays, building them and making sure they were waterproof. By the time I tested them a week after they were up, half of them were full of water. I spent half the night on Wednesday and all day Thanksgiving day re-building them. I will only use strips in their entirety from her on out. 

Just make sure they are waterproof if you use strips.

5 hours ago, Ron Boyd said:

Yep, I thought the same thing about the strips. I spent 2 months in the evenings and on Saturdays, building them and making sure they were waterproof. By the time I tested them a week after they were up, half of them were full of water. I spent half the night on Wednesday and all day Thanksgiving day re-building them. I will only use strips in their entirety from her on out. 

Just make sure they are waterproof if you use strips.

I never had one water issue with the Plasma Icicles.  Been using them for 3 years.  It's all in how you build em Ron.  ha ha..

12 hours ago, plasmadrive said:

I never had one water issue with the Plasma Icicles.  Been using them for 3 years.  It's all in how you build em Ron.  ha ha..

I used your design and somewhere along the line, I messed it up. I have nobody to blame but myself.

Edited by Ron Boyd

• The topic was locked