Light-O-Rama Forums

Decision for Mega Tree

litedanite

Hello Fellow light enthusiasts, this year I plan on changing it up a bit and working with RGB or RWBG* (for respect to America), I plan on having a ful 360 (maybe 270) round 15'-20' ft mega tree and 2 8'-10' ft spiral trees, but I'm not sure what is my best (cheaper) option. At first I was thinking about uing dumb rgb pixels but read that after buying the hardware needed to control them it almost comes out same as if I get the smart rgb? I'm also reading through the forum and trying to find out what I need to control these rgb lights but see many people using different ones according to what they are displaying. I do plan to expand my show as the years go by, but for now these are the additions I plan for this year. I'm taking any advice from anybody who has done this because I haven't purchased anything so far, it can be pixels or strips or anything else that is out there I haven't heard of.

If you comfortable with smart pixels thats the way to go , read up on smart pixels you will be much happier for future expansion .

• Like 1

I do need to tell you...RGB is very addictive, once you start you can't stop. I just got my hands on them for the first time this Dec, and I THOUGHT I would just do these 6 arches and that would be it....WRONG! I'm already planning on how to set up more RGB props . So be warned!

Smart Pixels are the way to go, they are the future and if you're going to spend that kind of money to start with, for just a little more you can have smart pixels. which by the way, can mock anything that dumb RGB's will do and so much more. The dumbs are going to only do so much, and to upgrade it means new controllers AND lights. It's just smart to go smart right off the bat.

I agree. Smart pixels are the only way to go if upgrading. Really they are not that hard to learn. Its so cool to see what you can do with them.

14 hours ago, litedanite said:

RWBG* (for respect to America)

Glad to see this. We don't see/say or hear this enough.

Thank you!!!

And as others have said, if starting out, go with the "smart" stuff. There wasn't this LED smart stuff when I first started out so converting my 33' mega tree over isn't an option for me practical or money wise. But anything new in my display is going to be smart RGB or RWBG :) .

Tom

Edited by Santas Helper
  • Like 1

I will definitely go with smart then, I guess my next research will be in figuring out what controller I will need to make them work, I welcome any suggetsions.

Thanx and if (when) I have more questions I will definitely ask again.

As others have said go with smart! It is by far the best. You have so many more options, and they become addicting. You will soon find yourself wanting to replace all of the lights on your house with smart RGB lights!! Good luck!
~Matt