Light-O-Rama Forums

32 verse 48 Channel configuration moves

bdwillie

We are debating that the 32 channels we bought may not be enough for the decorations we already have and are looking into purchasing another controller.  Another controller would greatly change what we have already mapped to the channels we have.   My question is, with the introduction of a new controller  and 16 more channels in sequencer, will I have to manually change each item that will be moved to the new controller?, or will I be able to fix the channel line up in one sequence, export the new channel configuration, and reimport it into the three or four other songs I have been working on.  and finally, if I import the new channel line up, will the original channel sequence follow to the new channel location?  Or will I have to cut and paste each one in each song individually.

I Hope this rambling question makes sense,  we are at a stop in sequencing until we choose one way or another between 32 and 48 channels.

Thanks everyone!

Edited by bdwillie
spelling error

Add the new channels to one of the sequences.  Be sure to ONLY add them to the end of the existing channels.   Save the new configuration, then open the other sequences and import the new configuration.  The new channels will appear in the same place and you will only need to sequence the newly added channels,

That sounds easy enough, but if I am going to move an item that I have been sequencing to the new controller, will I have to change that in each song?  or will moving it's data to the new controller and exporting it also move the data on the other songs when the new lineup is imported?

For some reason my brain seems to be making this harder than it should be..  That is why I shot up the help flag lol!

Confused For sure LOL!!!!

Bob

Jerrymac is correct.  You would add the new channels to the bottom.  But if you plan on moving channels or basically splitting channels then you are creating more work for yourself.  Copy and paste is one method or you would just go into the channel configuration and change the channel assignment for the channels you want to appear on the new controller.  Then assign channels on the new controller back to the original controller.  Its gets messy this way as far as keeping track in your head but in the configuration its not a big deal.  You can do it to one song and then export and than import into the others.

If you move around the Channel config(channel order) in one sequence, then save the channel config, ONLY the channels will move... the Mapping will NOT!!! so if you try to load the new channel config into another sequence, the Channels will change, but the Mapping will stay in the original placement...it will mess you all up...

Just add a new controller to the bottom and work it out from there, it will save you aggravation and time.

5 minutes ago, Need more lights said:

If you move around the Channel config(channel order) in one sequence, then save the channel config, ONLY the channels will move... the Mapping will NOT!!! so if you try to load the new channel config into another sequence, the Channels will change, but the Mapping will stay in the original placement...it will mess you all up...

Just add a new controller to the bottom and work it out from there, it will save you aggravation and time.

Let me know if I am wrong, but I think that is the point of changing the channel config is so that whatever was mapped there before, now will change to the new channel configuration without having to copy and paste rows.

May be I'm saying it wrong....Mapping= what you have sequenced into the timings.

Channel config = names / colors and channel # of the channel rows.

If you change the order of the config then export that config, when you import that config into another sequence only the channel config will move...the MAPPING will stay where in was in the same order. changing what each channel does. You have to copy paste rows in each sequence to line back up again. it's a mess. If someone knows something I'm missing to solve this nightmare, please let me know!!! the import channel config really only works for a new sequence

Yes you are correct the sequencing stays right where it is and when you import that into the next sequence those same rows will  get the new channel config.    It will NOT move the channel and the mapping together it just reassigns the channel.  

Edited by Grinch
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, EARLE W. TALLEY said:

Before you try anything, backup your sequences in case you make a BIG error.

LOL!  I DID back up and I DID make a HUGE ERROR!  So glad I did back up what I had saved!  Thanks!

16 hours ago, Need more lights said:

That's what I was afraid of...  Oh Well, only seriously been working with three songs so I had a cutting and pasting party.  One of the reasons for changing it around was poor planning to start with as to what was physically going to plug in where.  Didn't want to run an extension cord all the way across the yard when it can plug into a controller that was next to it. 

Our yard will still basically have the same decorations that we have always had (with a few new ones of course) so I should have paid attention when I first started as to where the controllers were going to be physically located.

I only know this from experience, when I got my second controller I decided to move all kinds of stuff around...you know... to make it easier??? :huh: 

Controller2 needed to go where controller1 was and this channel was going over here, that one over there.... well, I didn't back up anything...that takes to long you knowB) just make this 32 channel config and everything will magicly just line right up......Yahhhright. I screwed up 14 songs in less than an hour....took me HOURS to fix it, and that was just going from 16 to 32!  This of course was before I joined any groups or anything. I was alone in this hobby then,  my friends looked at me like I was on crack when I talked about my LIGHT-O-RAMA christmas light show, even the wife would ask "what do you need (20) 30' extention cords for?" but they would all watch it and say, "Thats so cool!....I don't know how you did that". I wish I joined this group years ago, I wouldn't have had to learn stuff the hard way. There are alot of great people on here that have been there, done that, burned the t-shirt and they got your back.

• Like 1

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 4:59 PM, Need more lights said:

I wish I joined this group years ago, I wouldn't have had to learn stuff the hard way. There are alot of great people on here that have been there, done that, burned the t-shirt and they got your back.

Have been steady reading and learning!  Everyone here has been so informative and encouraging!  Great group of people here!  I thank you all!

• Like 1

I only added to the channel configuration & I never moved controllers around. I started with 48 channels right off the bat because it allowed me everything I wanted for that year in 2008 (I was using Animated Lighting controllers) God please forgive me, anyhow I sold them right away after Christmas & bought ten Lor controllers. I set up the controller one & 2 for 32 channel 2 colour Mega tree one, controller 2 & 3 for 32 channel 2 colour Mega Tree 2, Then controllers 5 & 6 for 16 mini trees two colours, controller 7 for a 16 channel 12 ft arch , & controllers 8 & 9 for four 8 ft arches. Controller ten was for the bushes & what not.  Oh & I had a spare controller card as well. Always have a spare controller card on hand. I found that out in 2008 when one of my controllers went off the deep end. Once I had my lay out set I did not change it. I was happy with the 17 songs I had done for those 160 channels.

Trust me if a controllers go haywire you want a spare one on hand, & more so when it is only 3 night before Christmas eve.