Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel Matrix Control

zvacman

I just completed the building of a 700 pixel matrix.  It is 25 pixels wide by 28 tall on 2" centers.  Would I be stupid to burn 7 outputs in my E682 controller on this to keep wiring simple?  At 100 pixels per output I shouldn't need to run power injection from what I've read, right?  This pixel stuff is really new to me so any input would be appreciated.  And sequencing it??? I'm losing my mind, tips on that would help too.

Z

At 12v you should be fine, plug in a strip and run the E682 in test mode to be sure.  And I would keep it simple, but I'm a pixel newbie too. I can't help you on the programing, haven't done one....yet.

Pixel Editor, Superstar or Nutcracker are all good.

The pixel editor requires a pro license, Superstar costs a bit, but Nutcracker is free.

The pixel editor is probably best though.

3 hours ago, EmmienLightFan said:

Pixel Editor, Superstar or Nutcracker are all good.

The pixel editor requires a pro license, Superstar costs a bit, but Nutcracker is free.

The pixel editor is probably best though.

The pixel editor is great when it comes to the picture effect. I use animated gifs a lot and they look great in the pixel editor. I have played with the movie effect also which is cool.

It will depend on the pixel & wire gauge. I have 1 - 12v 100 count string that I had to inject power. Easiest way to check is hook up 100 pixels, set the color to white & compare the first pixel to the last pixel in the string. If there is a big color difference then power injection is needed.

Another thing to consider is that the more pixels that you have on one output the longer the refresh rate will be.   

Besides the voltage drop, with 100 pixels in full white, you may blow the fuse for that output.  Pixels are about 60mA each when all three colors are on full (actually a little less, but 60 is an easy working figure).  Therefore, 100 of them in full white would be 6 amps. That will hold for a short while on a 4 amp fuse, but will eventually blow.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Ok, I'm getting ready to wire up the matrix.  I am running 700,12v, 2811 nodes off of an E682 controller.  From what I've read the 682 can run 12 universes of 512 channels each.  I was planning on spreading 100 pixels (300 channels) across 7 universes, leaving 5 leftover for whatever. I know I am underutilizing the controller but for now I have plenty of channels to work with. Where I am getting confused is that the controller has 16 outputs and 12 universes, the math doesn't work. So how do I decide which output does what?  Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Mike

Mike,

I can explain that, but not right now.  I just completed a major re-arrangement of my LOR networking that is used for my year round landscape lighting and have about 2 1/2 hours of daylight before the show starts in order to get the show channel assignments and inputs to match the new hardware reality.

BTW, it's easy...