Light-O-Rama Forums

Copying channels to new track

oilmoney

Hi, I just added 64ch for this years spiral tree. I stuck the new channels at the bottom of the master track. I then created a new track and copied the 64 channels to the new track. I placed the channels in the desired order on the new track but when I returned to the master track they had moved as well to the new order. I think I recall hearing something about leaving tracks in their original location or something? I know I'm not supposed to move them in the master track which i didn't but I now have the same channel configuration in both tracks. Luckily I saved it as a different file so if I have to go back and redo it's only 5 mins lost work. thoughts or suggestions?

There may be another way, but what I do is this.

Convert the channels in the master track to a group. Then copy the group to the new track. In order to break the connection with the original track, DE-GROUP. You should then be able to move things around in the new track without affecting the original.

Crazy way to do things but I don't know another way.

• Like 1

If you copy a group.. you are reusing its contents and order of channels in a new location.   Reordering a shared group reorders in all locations it is used.  

You are correct to do it the way you suggested.  You could copy each channel one at a time.  But its much faster to make a group in the master track,  copy the group to a new track.  Degroup to break the connection to the source group. Rearrange the channels to suit your sequencing need and then group it again. 

• Like 1