Light-O-Rama Forums

S2 Question

Ponddude

When S2 is release, still hoping on the February date (fingers crossed), will this be the version that requires the firmware updates? I was just wondering if that would be the time or if it will be at a later date.

Greg

Oh ok...I was trying to figure out if I should update my boards before my water show, but now I guess i'll wait for the Halloween show.

Thanks Denny

Greg

Ponddude wrote:

..trying to figure out if I should update my boards before my water show...

???? Do tell. Sounds fun.

I can't give away all my secrets...(wink wink)

However I do have a 2000 gallon pond that is going to become good friends withe LOR.

Greg

LOL Jeff!!

Actually I am waiting to order the DC board and then I will be working on the valves and how I am going to make that whole thing work. I used to built ponds for friends and neighbors and stuff, so I have a pretty good understanding of pumps and what not. I also found a really good website on how to build a REAL leaping arch of water. That will be getting started any day now. I'll be sure to post some video of that when I'm done.

Greg

Didn't we talk about all my secrets?!...lol

Anyway...I'll play fair. Basically what it does is take all the turbulence out of the water. What turbulence does to water is turn it white, almost so it looks frothy. Basically turbulent water is what comes out of your faucet. What this set up does is removes all of that and makes a crystal clear stream of water. What you can do then is put a light source in the water and the light will shine completely through it. Basically like a fiber optics, except with water. This is a guy who came up with a way of doing it without spend 3000 dollars, like most of these set up costs.

http://blogs.alfresco.com/luissala/2007/05/26/and-now-for-a-change-of-pace-hacking-together-a-laminar-flow-nozzle/

Here is a DMX version of it...enter the $3000 price tag
http://www.atlanticfountains.com/DMXLaminar.htm

Should be pretty cool.

Greg

I think I have seen a show that showed how Disney did laminar flow years ago. It seemed they took out the turbulence by running the water through long tubes. While the link above (very cool, thank you) does not do that, it seems that you could use a very long hose coming from your 2K pond to reduce tubulence.

Or, am I barking up the wrong tree?

Here is the problem with that. The problem comes with how the water exits the tube. When the water exits, there are very rough edges on the tubing, no matter what kind of tube you use. This happens because there is no way to angle in the cut of the tube. I am sure it eventually could be done, but it would be very time consuming. Every part of the exit needs to be extremely smooth, and that is hard to do on a piece of tubing. Someone over on PC pointed me in the direction of a nozzle that you can use that compresses the water inside the nozzle and then expands it, which accomplishes the same thing. The problem is, he said the manufacturer went out of business and I searched high and low trying to find another company, but had no luck with that.

I personally think the unit that is on the website is a little over kill. I can see the straws, (the professional ones do something similar) I can see the screen, but all that extra space is a bit much for me. I am going to start experimenting and see what I can come up with. Hopefully mine won't be so large.

Greg