Light-O-Rama Forums

Please help Alphapix4+ 27ch RGB controler Using LOR S4

Lanpham1008

Dear all my light enthusiastic friends, please help me set up this setting.

Hardware Set up: PC Lor S4=> ethernet=> alphapix4=>rs485 out=> ethernet input of 27ch dumb RGB controller

I use Lor S4 advance

Sucessfully connected my alphapix 4 but when I daisy chain the 27ch dumb RGB controller

set it to Universe 17 (or any universe) stared channel 1 to 27

it can only recognized channel 17,18,19(on LOR) as RGB ch 1 (on the Board) and ch20,21,22 (on LOR) as RGB ch 2 (on board) but NOT any other channel ????

I also have a USB-RS485 connector and 2 CTB16pc not connect to the system yet, any suggestions???

Thank you all!!!

P.s. This is will be my first year i am very new to lor so as much detail as possible please thanks again!!

I can't help much as I've never used an AlphaPix controller nor have I ever tried to output RS-485 DMX from an E1.31 controller to drive a DMX device.  However with that said, your hardware configuration looks right.  You'll need someone who has played with the AlphaPix controllers to help with the configuration.

However, I want to correct a part of your terminology that will cause confusion and potentially damage equipment.  And it may sound like I'm being picky, but that is not the intent.  You referred to the "ethernet input of 27ch dumb RGB controller".  Please do not refer to that connector as an "ethernet input" or "ethernet connector".  As you know (since you specify that it is RS-485), that it is NOT ethernet, but rather RS-485 serial data.  The connector is properly an 8P8C connector, but generally (incorrectly) called an RJ-45 connector.  That connector happens to be commonly used for ethernet, but also for may other things (including in our case, RS-485 serial data).  By referring to it as an ethernet input, adds to the confusion.  One of the problems we see regularly here on the forum, is new users assuming that the RJ-45 is ethernet and connecting directly to a LAN switch or computer LAN connection.  Although it's not overly likely, equipment CAN be damaged by doing that, and at the very least, it won't work.  In the same way, a Cat-5 or Cat-6 cable with RJ-45 connectors is not an "ethernet cable" (even if it is carrying ethernet data).  Because Cat-5 cable is so easily available, many things use it because it's handy.  OK, off my soapbox...

Good luck with your AlphaPix.

I can't help much as I've never used an AlphaPix controller nor have I ever tried to output RS-485 DMX from an E1.31 controller to drive a DMX device. However with that said, your hardware configuration looks right. You'll need someone who has played with the AlphaPix controllers to help with the configuration.

However, I want to correct a part of your terminology that will cause confusion and potentially damage equipment. And it may sound like I'm being picky, but that is not the intent. You referred to the "ethernet input of 27ch dumb RGB controller". Please do not refer to that connector as an "ethernet input" or "ethernet connector". As you know (since you specify that it is RS-485), that it is NOT ethernet, but rather RS-485 serial data. The connector is properly an 8P8C connector, but generally (incorrectly) called an RJ-45 connector. That connector happens to be commonly used for ethernet, but also for may other things (including in our case, RS-485 serial data). By referring to it as an ethernet input, adds to the confusion. One of the problems we see regularly here on the forum, is new users assuming that the RJ-45 is ethernet and connecting directly to a LAN switch or computer LAN connection. Although it's not overly likely, equipment CAN be damaged by doing that, and at the very least, it won't work. In the same way, a Cat-5 or Cat-6 cable with RJ-45 connectors is not an "ethernet cable" (even if it is carrying ethernet data). Because Cat-5 cable is so easily available, many things use it because it's handy. OK, off my soapbox...

I can't help much as I've never used an AlphaPix controller nor have I ever tried to output RS-485 DMX from an E1.31 controller to drive a DMX device. However with that said, your hardware configuration looks right. You'll need someone who has played with the AlphaPix controllers to help with the configuration.

However, I want to correct a part of your terminology that will cause confusion and potentially damage equipment. And it may sound like I'm being picky, but that is not the intent. You referred to the "ethernet input of 27ch dumb RGB controller". Please do not refer to that connector as an "ethernet input" or "ethernet connector". As you know (since you specify that it is RS-485), that it is NOT ethernet, but rather RS-485 serial data. The connector is properly an 8P8C connector, but generally (incorrectly) called an RJ-45 connector. That connector happens to be commonly used for ethernet, but also for may other things (including in our case, RS-485 serial data). By referring to it as an ethernet input, adds to the confusion. One of the problems we see regularly here on the forum, is new users assuming that the RJ-45 is ethernet and connecting directly to a LAN switch or computer LAN connection. Although it's not overly likely, equipment CAN be damaged by doing that, and at the very least, it won't work. In the same way, a Cat-5 or Cat-6 cable with RJ-45 connectors is not an "ethernet cable" (even if it is carrying ethernet data). Because Cat-5 cable is so easily available, many things use it because it's handy. OK, off my soapbox...

Thank you very much for corrected me as I said I am new to this and would need to learn all this language from Beginning !!!

i would run 2 networks for that

run the alpha4 on e131

and run the rest on lor network

this year I ran 3 networks

e131

LOR 1 for older boards

LOR 2 advance for CCR and G3 boards and 2 24/channel dumb rbg strips

http://www1.lightorama.com/typical-setups/

Thank you my friend for the suggestion how ever if I run 2 network I would need a USB-Rs485 connector and a dongo for my RGB running from LOR AC controller .

Even if I use 2 network , do you think this set up would work?

1: Ethernet =>E1.31=>1st dumb RGB (dip switch set to 1) => 2nd dumb RGB (dip set to 2)

2: USB-rs485 => LOR AC 1=> LOR AC 2

ok you have the following

1 Dumb RGB 27 Channel DMX Controller from holiday Coro

​1 alphapix4 from holiday Coro

2 LOR CTB16pc

​use the USB-RS485 connector you have connect to pc through usp port for the CTB16pc

use the Ethernet E131 to connect to the alphapix4

the only thing I am not sure about is the dmx 27 channel dumb rbg controllers if you need the actidongle  from Holiday Coro 

or you can daisy chain for ctb16pc. not sure or network switch from the e131. hope some one else ways in on this.

from Holiday Coro http://www.holidaycoro.com/Light-O-Rama-LOR-Controllers-s/1940.htm

You can daisy chain the 27 ch controller using the DMX out on the Alphapix.  Set the DMX out on the alphapix to whichever universe your 27ch card is set to.  You then have to go into the LOR software, and set up said universe like it is on E1.31 (not a dongle).  LOR will not see that universe until you have done this.

The best way to do this is using the AlphaPix.

ok you have the following

1 Dumb RGB 27 Channel DMX Controller from holiday Coro

​1 alphapix4 from holiday Coro

2 LOR CTB16pc

​use the USB-RS485 connector you have connect to pc through usp port for the CTB16pc

use the Ethernet E131 to connect to the alphapix4

the only thing I am not sure about is the dmx 27 channel dumb rbg controllers if you need the actidongle  from Holiday Coro 

or you can daisy chain for ctb16pc. not sure or network switch from the e131. hope some one else ways in on this.

from Holiday Coro http://www.holidaycoro.com/Light-O-Rama-LOR-Controllers-s/1940.htm

You cannot connect the 27 channel controller to an E1.31 network without a bridge, you will break stuff. Also it cannot be daisy chained from your LOR controllers, unless they are running in DMX and you have a ESTA to LOR crossover cable.