Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Newbie - 2015 display

stalky1

Light-O-Rama newbie here!  I convinced my wife to let me experiment with LOR in late 2014, and we threw together a display.  We evolved it a bit for 2015, and we hope to make more additions/changes for next year too.

Here are a couple of links to our 2015 computerized Christmas light show using 48 Light-O-Rama channels (3 controllers) plus 6 DMX channels (for the RGB light balls in the trees), for a total of 54 channels.  We have nearly 10,000 (mostly) LED lights - all red and white, with the exception of the RGB balls in the trees. 

Since we have a very small yard, we don't have room to do many of the things typically found in animated Christmas light displays.  For instance, we don't have a mega tree or any mini-trees. Also, I tend to not like the way a lot of the low channel count animations look because they blink too much and at any given moment most of the lights in the display/yard tend to be dark.  So, I try to keep some lights on most of the time rather than making them all flash off/on, and I focus on creating patterns with the props that I have room for in the yard or doing fades for the whole house.  It's obviously not as fancy as some of the RGB displays out there or the ones with half a million lights, but keeping that in mind, I think things turned out pretty good.

(Video was shot with an iPad because we don't have a good quality camera, but the lights are so bright that they really oversaturate the camera - how do people typically record their lights?  Is a better camera all that's needed or are there some other tricks involved too?)

12 Days of Christmas - Straight No Chaser:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pd3vKqkyIGM

Mad Russian's Christmas - TSO:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp56ezLu0nY

Thanks! :D

I see you've caught the Clap. (Christmas Light Addiction Problem) Welcome fellow addict! :D  Very nice set up. I like your thinking, I try to keep lights on more than off too, and you don't need all kinds of fancy stuff to still have a nice display. Most of the people who will see your display will still be in awe just the same.

As for a better camara, I don't think it came out so bad.

In 2013 I had a cheap Canon that HATED night video and it shows. 2014 was my GoPro Hero3, much better. 2015 is a wide angle lens on a Canon EOS Rebel T5 on a tripod. I think it is the best so far.

• The topic was locked