Light-O-Rama Forums

YouTube vs Vimeo

Archer

This may have been discussed in the past and I missed it. I use Vimeo....I tried YouTube yrs ago and had problems getting my videos uploaded. When that did not work I tried Vimeo and never looked back. Does YouTube give you any statistics about how your videos are performing? My Vimeo account gives me all kinds of cool things including how many different countries (45 so far) are viewing my videos and gives me qraphs and charts. I find myself checking it several times a day during the Light Show season. You can see just how fast the season ends, right down to the day and how quickly it starts up. Example; Every day during the season I had triple digits Dec 25th had triple digit views Dec 26 double digit views and Jan 3 it was down to single digit. The day I posted my videos on LOR forums it spiked back up to triple digits again for a couple days. My single biggest day during the season was over 1,800 views/loads. There have been over 39,000 views/loads since I opened the account 2 yrs ago. Is anybody else as pleased using Vimeo as I am?

kevinkolak.com

I find Vimeo doesn't allow me to view some videos from my phone. I have never set up an account.

I only use Youtube for posting videos.

I have two accounts one for my lightshow with no monetization setup and one for DIY.

The stats are really good.

Location, hits, minutes spent watching, etc.

Does Vimeo pay you when your videos are viewed like Youtube/Google Adsense does?

Vimeo upgraded its player a while back and  I think supports many devices now.   Since I do have an account I also use their app.  It has the usual stuff like instant upload of video taken on the phone.

Guests dont have to close the ad covering the content.  No payments for views.

Edited by ItsMeBobO

For all practical purposes, I have never uploaded to either one, however I have watched quite a few.  As a viewer, I strongly dislike Vimeo, because no matter what computer, or how fast of an internet connection (up to and including 100Mb/sec), I don't think I have ever watched a video on Vimeo without regular pauses for buffering.  The only real question is if the buffering is just annoying, or so bad that it's functionally unwatchable.  I don't have that problem with YouTube (most of the time).

Since I know someone will ask, I have two different internet connected computers with different connections here at work;  This one is on a DSL and a speed test just came back with 5.13 Mb/s down and 0.61 Mb/s up.  The other has a fiber connection and the speed test came back as 94.57 Mb/s down and 97.95 Mb/s up.  At home, my DSL is typically about 2.5 Mb/s down and 0.6 Mb/s up (God, I wish Verizon would get FIOS built the last half mile to my neighborhood).  The 4G connection on my laptop of course varies quite a bit, but just tested as 41.94 Mb/s down and 32.60 Mb/s up.

Several answers to questions in all of the above and a few of my own.

YouTube pays you?....really!!! How many views does it take to get paid and at what rate?....interesting. Vimeo has an option that you can get paid, not sure how it works but I know Vimeo get a cut. You have to set up an account and jump through some hoops but it's possible. I have never had a video I was watching on Vimeo pause, they have always played from start to finish. What kind of stats does YouTube keep? I stopped using them because of them dropping me first.

Have had YouTube block audio on several videos in the past. Usually only in other countries than the USA. My Eagles song was blocked worldwide during this last season.

Funny, just while reading this thread - YouTube just blocked one of last years videos today. Here's the email today:

Hi Dreessen Family Christmas,

Due to a copyright claim, the audio in your YouTube video has been muted.

Video title: 2014 A Hallelujah Christmas by Cloverton Music Video / LOR / Dreessen

Claimed by: SACEM, AdShare (Publishing), BUMA CS, Sony ATV Publishing

View claim details

Why this can happen

Your video might contain a copyright-protected song.

Copyright owners can choose to block their music from being used in other people’s videos.

- The YouTube Team

Help center • Email options • Report spam

©2016 YouTube, LLC 901 Cherry Ave, San Bruno, CA 94066

I cancelled my Vimeo account when they started blocking most all of my light show videos claiming copyright issues even though I had purchased the music legally and wasn't charging anyone for viewing. So far this year, Youtube blocked two of mine saying the same thing but weird because the music was all 3rd party and purchased legally

I cancelled my Vimeo account when they started blocking most all of my light show videos claiming copyright issues even though I had purchased the music legally and wasn't charging anyone for viewing. So far this year, Youtube blocked two of mine saying the same thing but weird because the music was all 3rd party and purchased legally

Queue Orville on topic of Fair use.

It doesn't matter that you purchased the music... You don't own the copyright.

You purchased the music for your own enjoyment.

This doesn't mean you are allowed to play the music to the thousands of people watching your light show.

Put the music in the Jukebox in your public bar.

Or post the music content on the interwebs.

The music is only for your personal and private usage.

I often laugh when some of you guys balk about sharing sequences and making folks hunt down the music for the license.

Sony doesn't want you sharing their product with all of the people in front of your house, even if it does mean one or two bystanders might buy that song from iTunes.

We are all breaking some laws with our light shows.

Hopefully the FCC never comes and cracks down on our broadcasting of copyrighted music.

Just some things to think about next Christmas.

I once heard that if you give the artist credit at some point in your presentation for their song, you have a better chance of it surviving the scrutiny of the FCC and copyright police.....what kind of cars do they drive anyway?

Half dozen black SUVs with five guys each wearing black utilities and assault rifles.

They will be at all of our displays in 2016.

It will be Obama's going away gift to Hillary.

Think of all the revenue they will receive once we are locked up and have to make bail.

Of course they will lose out tax dollars since now we will all have criminal records and won't be able to hold a decent job.

But at least we will then need the government more to survive. I hear food stamps are awesome.

Just think of all the police we have to satisfy.

1. Laser light

2. Copyright

3. FAA Drone

4. FCC (Transmitter power level)

5. Traffic

6. Township ordinance

7. State (DUI drivers watching the show)..don't laugh, had it happen.

8. IRS (Because they can)

I once heard that if you give the artist credit at some point in your presentation for their song, you have a better chance of it surviving the scrutiny of the FCC and copyright police.....what kind of cars do they drive anyway?

THIS....  I always add a link to buying the song on: itunes, beatport & google play.  Have never had an issue...

Also, you can evade youtube's auto copyright program that checks for copyrighted material when you are uploading by changing the pitch of the song, ever so slightly, on Audacity.

Good point marsh28....if you view my videos, everyone has a 30-45 second introduction that my daughter-in-law narrates that throws the timing off for all songs....never had an issue.

kevinkolak.com

Good point marsh28....if you view my videos, everyone has a 30-45 second introduction that my daughter-in-law narrates that throws the timing off for all songs....never had an issue.

kevinkolak.com

That doesn't matter, I've got songs 5 minutes into videos that come back copyrighted. And it doesn't matter if you put credits in your videos or not or if you give a link to I-tunes or what have you.

If you have a song that is going to get kicked, it's going to get kicked. UMG is one of the toughest producers that kick almost all their copyright material. They block most of my videos(from my main channel) from any mobile devices and especially Germany. Try to upload any Elvis songs, like Blue Christmas and they will block it even here in the USA...so you can't even watch your own video! There really isn't anyway around it, I've tried with multiple different videos. 

Are you saying it's hit or miss? If so, I have never had a video rejected on Vimeo but I have on YouTube. Using my great run of good luck why didn't I win last night's powerball lottery?

I have done DIY videos where music was playing in the background.

It was so low you could barely hear it with the sound up 100% on your PC...

YouTube found/heard it...

That is why I keep my light show channel separate from my DIY channel.

I won the Powerball last night!

I just cashed in.

Two of my four dollars went to another ticket.

This is the only one that won't play at all...in the USA, but I do have many that won't play on mobile devices.

post-16557-0-29294200-1452821720_thumb.plook at the upper right it says blocked in 9 countries. I can't highlight the ! to show what countries and still use the snipping tool but you catch the drift. 

Edited by Need more lights