Light-O-Rama Forums

Surprised by "Thank you"

Dcroc

I've gotten use to people stopping and telling me how much they liked my display this year. What threw me was how many actually thanked me for doing it. Even had a couple people tell me that it helped them out of the holiday "depression" they were in, and put the spirit on the season in them. I have always said that I do this for myself, and to satisfy my need to be a show off.  I have also said that the people that claim to do it "just to see the kids faces" were full of crap. However, I am starting to understand that a little better, now. I still do it for me, and will stop doing it when I no longer enjoy it, but it is kind of nice to know that it actually touches people.

For some reason, I was in quite the 'funk' myself this season. Then the cards and thanks started and actually put a smile on my face! Even had someone stop on the opposite side of the boulevard to shout across, "great display!!' while I was taking it down last weekend.:-)

I had a similar experience on Christmas Eve this year. Christmas Cannon was the second song in my display this year out of 15 songs and on the third time around I was in the house when I heard some singing. I went to the front door and outside a church bus had pulled up and a children's choir of about 20 were standing in the middle of my display singing to Christmas Cannon. My wife started crying, now that is caroling.

yes, awesome stories!

Dcroc - my first show = same experience. people told me how impressed they were but days and months later SOOO many people THANKED me, threw me off a bit.

Came home one night right when show ended but many care still parked out front so I asked if they want more? "YEAH!!" so I turned it back on...in the morning I had notes on my front door thanking me. I am also told of many people now have a Christmas tradition.

Yeah, there is so much good stuff in this hobby :)

2015 was the first year that I also decorated my backyard. At the last minute I had the idea to put out a guestbook for people to write in if they felt inclined. I held onto the notes people had put in my mailbox so this was a neat way to learn more about visitors. The guestbook was an extra 3 ring binder with sections for, "Your Name?", "Where are you coming from", "How did you find out about us?", and "Comments". After the show was taken down, I scanned all the pages including the mailbox notes from before. I was pleasantly surprised that there was well over 700 comments left. I'm going to make a regular thing now. You can read the notes here http://www.nychristmaslights.com/2015%20Guestbook.pdf

Nothing beats going out and meeting people but the guestbook allowed people to leave comments without me scaring them away if I came outside.

• Like 1

• The topic was locked