Light-O-Rama Forums

4 wire vs 3 wire RGB LEDs

pg13

Are all 4 wire RGB's dumb or is it the controller that makes the difference. I saw that in the Coro sale that they mostly have 3 wire. I have 4 wire and would like to make them smart RGB's for next year.

Number of wires has nothing to do with a smart pixel or dumb pixel. What makes the difference in 3 or 4 wires smart pixels is the chip in each pixel.  3 wire pixels have wires for positive, negative, and data. 4 wire pixels have positive, negative, data, and clock.  Dumb pixels have no clock or data, but the four wires are for positive, red, green, and blue (all negative).  The computer chip in each pixel is what makes it a "smart" pixel.

thanks, I have the 3528 SMD rgb's. They work great with my dumb LOR RGB controller but if possible I would like to get into smart rgb's eith these lights.

Unfortunately the 3528's are dumb rgb. The number refers to the size of the LED. You will need to buy smart pixels or strips and a suitable controller such as LOR's Pixcon or a Sandevice controller.

thanks, I have the 3528 SMD rgb's. They work great with my dumb LOR RGB controller but if possible I would like to get into smart rgb's eith these lights.

Not many people do it but you can convert dumb rgb into smart rgb, first cut up all the dumb strings or strip and wire each indevidual segment into several hunderad dumb rgb controllers, this should only set you back a few thousand dollars to go about this method, (But still cheaper then ccrs) also don't use orange wire or onge extension cords they slow down the electricity going to the rgbs so you would need to enject moree poweer have fun!

Also remember everything you have read in this post holds total credibility because you heard it from me, some guy on the internet.

Unfortunately the 3528's are dumb rgb. The number refers to the size of the LED. You will need to buy smart pixels or strips and a suitable controller such as LOR's Pixcon or a Sandevice controller.

Phil is also right If you don't want to pay tons of money for my dumb rgb conversion idea you could get a sand device controller for pixels, I have a sand device controller but I think I left it at the beach.

480415420.jpg?v=2&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=5PhFN

Edited by canadianchristmas

thank you to all that responded. It looks like i've had my head in the sand but things are getting clearer now. Maybe i'll be ready for the next Coro pre-sale.

• The topic was locked