Light-O-Rama Forums

Star RGB Configuration

bwinter

I designed this star in 2014. It sits on top of my pixel tree.

Do you have any videos of it in action?  I've been looking for dumb rgb star ideas.  I love the concept.   

He used dumb RGB, not pixels, so his is different to your idea.

Bwinter's idea and my star are somewhat similar, differing mostly in implementation and shape.

My star has 6 RGB channels (i.e. 18 total channels) controlling 50 bulbs. Bwinter's idea is 10 RGB channels, also controlling 50 bulbs.

Both my star and his idea have the first channel at the center of the star, and the last channel at the tips.

Both will have a similar look in the sequence editor, although his will have 10 rows and mine has 6.

By the way, the 1st and 6th channels on my star each drive 5 bulbs, and channels 2 through 5 drive 10 bulbs each.

Mine is a traditional 5-pointed star shape, where his is a "starburst" shape, which I think will look even better when "bursting", although mine looks more like a traditional star when lit solid.

Mine involves lots of cutting and splicing, while his involves driving 5 smart pixels in parallel at the center.

In order to avoid lots of wire, mine has a 27-channel controller (using only 18) mounted near the star, 18 feet off the ground. Bwinter's idea may also need the controller mounted near the star, because there may be some issues trying to drive 5 smart pixels in parallel over a distance. You'll have to get some more expert opinions on doing that.

Do you have any videos of it in action?  I've been looking for dumb rgb star ideas.  I love the concept.   

I'm working on that. I'll post some here if I can get one. (I didn't take the videos; someone else did.)