Light-O-Rama Forums

Mega Tree w/graphics - Ribbons, Nodes, I don't know?

gorichgo

I want to get in the game and upgrade my 16 channel mini incand mega tree to one that does graphics(words/pictures).  What software/hardware do I need to purchase?  Looking for BEST price (cheapest) and easiest to use.  I see there's quite a few presales going on right now but I don't know what to get.  Can someone help me with a shopping list?  Also, I currently only have 32 channels, fm trans, mini-director and basic plus.  Would I also be able to run this mega tree via the mini-director or do I have to use my computer?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

gorichgo@yahoo.com

You will need what we call Smart RGB, you can get CCR's, Pixel Nodes, just as long as they have a chip per pixel Now you need to know that each Pixel uses 3 channels each. My tree for example has 2400 channels. I run Pixel nodes from Holiday Coro, there is 16 strings at 50 pixels each string,t hat will make a 12 foot high mega tree. Now to run those nodes, there are many controllers on the market. I for instance use a Sand Devices E682. now you can run the controller using any software, but for programming you can either use the pixel editor or use SUperStar as i do. I also purchase my sequences from a vendor.

You will need what we call Smart RGB, you can get CCR's, Pixel Nodes, just as long as they have a chip per pixel Now you need to know that each Pixel uses 3 channels each. My tree for example has 2400 channels. I run Pixel nodes from Holiday Coro, there is 16 strings at 50 pixels each string,t hat will make a 12 foot high mega tree. Now to run those nodes, there are many controllers on the market. I for instance use a Sand Devices E682. now you can run the controller using any software, but for programming you can either use the pixel editor or use SUperStar as i do. I also purchase my sequences from a vendor.

How many controllers do you use for that tree?  I'm on a budget so would a tree of 12 strings of pixel nodes look good and how many E682 controllers would I need to run it?  If I purchase SuperStar do I need to purchase Pixel Editor as well?  Thanks for your input.

I used a Pixcon 16 controller from LOR.  The E682 controllers are good controllers.  The Pixcon can handle up to 340 pixels per port.  You will also need a power supply to match the voltage of your pixels.  I purchased my 12V pixels, 12V power supply, weather proof box, and pixel straps from Holiday Coro.  I purchased 8 strands of 50 pixels per strand.  I folded the strands in half to give me 16 strips to my 180 tree.  You will need wire (power cord) to connect the pixels to controller and a power cord to the power supply.  Holiday coro also sells these cords.  Since I have other LOR controllers, I chose to run the advanced version of LOR software to run my pixels with E1.31.  I used Xlights to program my pixels.  Xlight sequences were easy to convert to LOR.  Good Luck

How many controllers do you use for that tree?  I'm on a budget so would a tree of 12 strings of pixel nodes look good and how many E682 controllers would I need to run it?  If I purchase SuperStar do I need to purchase Pixel Editor as well?  Thanks for your input.

The E682 will handle all 12 of yer strings. I actually run one string off each output. Pixel editor is actually part of the LOR software package, The Super Star is an add on. Superstar can be used for sequencing any lights you have. I use it for sequencing all my regular lights as well as my pixels. 12 strings will still look god, go to http://www.holidaysequences.com/ and look at their videos of 12 string sequences.

Thanks for your input and making things a lot clearer to me.  I'll check out the above site when I get home from work and make my shopping list.  :)

I used a Pixcon 16 controller from LOR.  The E682 controllers are good controllers.  The Pixcon can handle up to 340 pixels per port.  You will also need a power supply to match the voltage of your pixels.  I purchased my 12V pixels, 12V power supply, weather proof box, and pixel straps from Holiday Coro.  I purchased 8 strands of 50 pixels per strand.  I folded the strands in half to give me 16 strips to my 180 tree.  You will need wire (power cord) to connect the pixels to controller and a power cord to the power supply.  Holiday coro also sells these cords.  Since I have other LOR controllers, I chose to run the advanced version of LOR software to run my pixels with E1.31.  I used Xlights to program my pixels.  Xlight sequences were easy to convert to LOR.  Good Luck

Cheski, do you have any videos I can view of your tree?

The E682 will handle all 12 of yer strings. I actually run one string off each output. Pixel editor is actually part of the LOR software package, The Super Star is an add on. Superstar can be used for sequencing any lights you have. I use it for sequencing all my regular lights as well as my pixels. 12 strings will still look god, go to http://www.holidaysequences.com/ and look at their videos of 12 string sequences.

Jerry,

For your nodes, do you use 5V or 12V and are they 3" or 6" spacing?  What are your recommendations?

Thanks,

Rich

Jerry,

For your nodes, do you use 5V or 12V and are they 3" or 6" spacing?  What are your recommendations?

Thanks,

Rich

I use the 12 volt at 3" spacing. I chose the 3" spacing so there would not be extra wires when i attached them to the mega tree mounting strips, Some will tell ya to get the 6" spacing in case ya want to use them down the road for something else. I have no plans to use these for anything other then the tree and the my arches. So if you have no plans to use them for anything else, i would go with the 3 inch spacing.

For a 12 foot mega tree, you can use either 12 or 5 volt. Main difference between the two is that you can make longer runs with the 12 volt before needing to inject power.

• Like 1

Gorichgo Look at Hoiday Coro website they have a sale going till Monday You can buy a complete pixel tree or ccr clone tree

• Like 1