Light-O-Rama Forums

Using a Piano Keyboard to Program Lights

Matt the Franchize

Hello there,

I'm new to the forums. Ive been a Light O Rama User for about 3 years now. Anyways I was wondering if it was possible to program lights with a Piano Keyboard? I was trying to use a different method to programming and thought this way might be easier. I read somewhere that it was possible but I guess I must have read wrong. Ive been at this for about 2 hours trying to figure this out. Does anyone know if it is possible?

Thanks Matt

If you mean set up a piano keyboard using lights under a prop that has translucent keys to look like a giant piano keyboard then have the sequence animate those lights to the notes, yes, it can be done.   And there have been many folks that have done it.

Here's a video someone did of a mash up of Star Wars songs, the guy is a music teacher, and he has a lot of large instruments in his yard, hopefully this is what you're talking about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5dfpe_-Lgg

Hope the video shows up in the post, if not click on the url and it'll take you to it on YouTube

Edited by Orville

Great idea! I think he's talking about using a MIDI controller to trigger lights live and record the sequence. I don't think the folks at LOR have even put that on the radar, but it would be way cool.

I brought that up years ago and LOR said not something they do.  I wanted to do it with electronic drums...

I use a program called TrackSkull  (monkeybasic.com) that uses your joystick to write LOR data. I use it to program my penguins. It's just cut and paste data, so you could use it like a live dimmer switch on your lights.

"Somebody" should write a program to use USB MIDI input to write LOR files. I'd pay for that software.

In addition to the options mentioned by other people here: We do have a tool called the "MIDI Wizard" (in the Sequence Editor) that is not exactly what you're hoping for, but it might be useful.  Basically, you give it a MIDI file, and you can tell the MIDI Wizard to do things like "Every time a C3 plays on the trombone track, turn on channel #3".  So it's not direct, and it may or may not be practical for you, but in theory you could play something on your MIDI keyboard, record it to a MIDI file, and then use the MIDI Wizard on that MIDI file.

Intersting Bob, wonder if there is a way to convert MP3 files to MIDi format?    Sounds like the Midi Wizard could make programming the lights a tad easier using the instruments found in the MIDi file, as opposed to the MP3 files would take more time to make work.    

At least I have found no way just to single out an instrument or vocal tract in an MP3 to use any of the other Wizards on, so I have to sequence those sections individually and manually, or am I missing something on how to do that with the VU and Beat Wizards?

It's possible in theory to go from an arbitrary waveform (like would be in an MP3 file) to a set of individual, perhaps simultaneous, notes coming from different instruments (like would be in a MIDI file), but it seems to me like a difficult problem in practice (though I am not an expert on it and it may be a lot easier than I think).  I think that there are software packages out there that do it, but I am not familiar with them and I don't know how good they are at it.  One software program whose name sticks in my head regarding this for some reason is "Melodyne".  I purchased Melodyne years ago for an unrelated purpose, but never got around to actually using it.  I think it had some sort of wave-to-MIDI functionality (which was not what I purchased it for).

... Yeah, looking at their website now, they list "Audio-to-MIDI" as one of the functions of at least some versions of Melodyne.  Again, I've never used it, I don't necessarily understand specifically what they mean by the general claim "Audio-to-MIDI", and I don't know how good they are at whatever it is that they do.  But... maybe it's something.

This would actually be a nice feature though.

Small midi keyboards are cheap and it would be easy to sequence with them. Also if it were possible to assign a keyboard key or number to a channel that would be good.