Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR and Falcon 16V2

Jessie B

I'm planning taking the plunge and getting into RGB. I've seen videos that while the Falcon 16V2 is a really an excellent board, however using LOR to run the controller is real hard. Is there and difference in the board and say a LOR board and maybe the Holiday Coro Alpha Pix controller. Any recommendations as far as RGB controller boards and why.  Thank you

The LOR Pixcon can actually run on the RS485 network, the HC Alphapix and the Falcon can work with LOR but will use E1.31. So in order to use the Falcon with LOR you need to ensure that you have the proper license level.

Edited by Mr. P

there's always the e682 board from sandevices.com

quite a few people us it for their display including me; easy to use and setup

I am going to get a Falcon board.

I think that it is all quite easy to set up. If you are only going to have one controller, you can just connect an old router to your PC and the controller and use multicast. It takes seconds to set up.

I use unicast as I have multiple pixel controllers and DMX bridges.

• Like 1

What is the appropriate license level? And if I am only going to have 1 falcon, is is necessary to use an old router? Can I just plug directly into the laptop?

Advanced or Pro level LOR license is required for E1.31. For only one E1.31 card, you can connect directly to the computer. BTW, I'll give another thumbs up for the SanDevices cards. I use two E6804s year round and two E682s get added for Christmas.

Edited by k6ccc

Advanced or Pro level LOR license is required for E1.31. For only one E1.31 card, you can connect directly to the computer. BTW, I'll give another thumbs up for the SanDevices cards. I use two E6804s year round and two E682s get added for Christmas.

Do you need a crossover cable or can it be connected directly?

I have 5 San Devices...4 E6804's (Talking trees, Snowmen and Arches) and 1 E6802 (15 Ribbon Tree).

Run one Cat5 cable directly plugged into laptop out to the yard that plugs into a Powered Netgear FS608 8 Port 10/100Mbps switch.

All 5 San Devices are then plugged directly into the 8 Port Switch (which is in a weatherproof enclosure).

Run all my San Devices Multicast...have worked flawless for the last two years...

I also have my San Devices and power boxes on a timer so they don't run 24/7.

Edited by jimswinder

OK, I thought I was connecting straight to my laptop. What is a patch cable? Something different than cat5?

Edited by drivemewilder

I have 5 San Devices...4 E6804's (Talking trees, Snowmen and Arches) and 1 E6802 (15 Ribbon Tree).

Run one Cat5 cable directly plugged into laptop out to the yard that plugs into a Powered Netgear FS608 8 Port 10/100Mbps switch.

All 5 San Devices are then plugged directly into the 8 Port Switch (which is in a weatherproof enclosure).

Run all my San Devices Multicast...have worked flawless for the last two years...

I also have my San Devices and power boxes on a timer so they don't run 24/7.

This is what i do for my San devices and my Komby transmitter. Everything is E1.31, not need for conversion.

OK, I thought I was connecting straight to my laptop. What is a patch cable? Something different than cat5?

Cat5 can be a crossover or a patch, a patch is wired straight through.

• Like 1

You can use a cat5 cable straight out of PC and straight into the Device using E1.31  No crossover required