Light-O-Rama Forums

E1.31 to DMX Bridge Tutorial

EmmienLightFan

I just finished editing a video of how to use a Pi as a DMX bridge.

Quite useful. I will probably be using a couple of these next year.

http://alpharoadchristmas.thruhere.net:8089/how-the-display-works/22-how-it-works/other/50-raspberry-pi-dmx-bridge

The dongle I used is linked there, but it is available on Ebay and Amazon. This software works on the Pi Zero, which costs just $5. You will need a small adapter for the Zero, as well as a way to connect it to your network.

This is a great video.

I'm curious to why you need the dongle though. If I had my LOR controllers set to dmx, or a dumb RGB controller connected to my pi, could the E1.31 bridge not suffice for use of a modified Ethernet cable that has the dmx protocol configured? I think it's orange and white for data in dmx.

This is a great video.

I'm curious to why you need the dongle though. If I had my LOR controllers set to dmx, or a dumb RGB controller connected to my pi, could the E1.31 bridge not suffice for use of a modified Ethernet cable that has the dmx protocol configured? I think it's orange and white for data in dmx.

The USB dongle is what actually transmits the DMX.

By "modified Ethernet cable", I guess you mean an ESTA to LOR crossover cable. This is just a cable to connect the DMX over cat5 standard wires to the ones LOR uses to receive it's signal.

The cat5 in my video is ethernet, not DMX.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The topic was locked