Light-O-Rama Forums

I'm just having a terrible time. Please help

Roxxxtar

I have a LOR system I purchased earlier this year. 3 controllers, everything works fine.

I bought my mom and dad showtime central for Christmas. Nothing but problems.

Installed the latest software, or at least tried to. Keep getting error messages that it didn't install correctly. Gave up.

Took their controller to my house to set it up using my computer and my software. Won't work. When I open HU, to set up the controller, after I click the auto config button, I get an error message that the port is not found. Check that the controller is connected and that it is powered on.

I feel terrible that my parents can't enjoy their gift because I'm too dumb to figure out the problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Hey Roxxtar   sorry you are having trouble.  At your house..are you using your own adapter?  If you do it should connect without auto config.

The com port auto assigned by windows to the adapter will be different on each pc you connect it to. 

What install problem are you having?  

Open a ticket with the helpdesk  and they will help you troubleshoot

Hey Roxxtar   sorry you are having trouble.  At your house..are you using your own adapter?  If you do it should connect without auto config.

The com port auto assigned by windows to the adapter will be different on each pc you connect it to. 

What install problem are you having?  

Open a ticket with the helpdesk  and they will help you troubleshoot

When I download the program to my parents computer, I get an error 1310 (Error writing to file) ServoDogUtility.exe Verify that you have access to that directory.. It gives me the options of aborting, retrying, and ignoring. Even if I choose ignore, LOR says intallation is complete. Then when I try and open any part of LOR, editor etc, I get the same error message as above. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program about 5 times, each with the same result. This is why I gave up, and took the controller and took it to my house to a working program on my computer. My computer doesn't even show that the controller is hooked up. I get error message port is not found. Check that the controller is connected and that it is powered on.I'm so frustrated, and over my head, and despite the enjoyment it seemed to provide everyone this Christmas, I wish I had never got into this "hobby." I'm so upset because when I set my system up, it went flawlessly. I wanted my parents to be able to enjoy something similar, though smaller, at their house, and I don't seem to be able to give it to them.

The error with ServoDogUtility known to be caused by virus scanning.  Its a false positive.   Turn off the virus scanning durling download to get around it. 

You can tell if your adapter is connected using device manager.   Look in the ports section.    When you plug in and unplug the adapters usb cable you should hear a windows sound.   You will also see device manager refresh so you will see exactly which com port is being used. 

OK there might be 2 different problems.

Software is one. Are you installing as an administrator? Try installing to a different directory. Create a help desk ticket.

Hardware is possibly another. Did you replace your parent's controller with one of your's (same ID number)(not add it to the existing network)? 

Ok an update but still have problems.

Part of the problem was just not being able to get the software installed correctly. I solved that thanks to the advise given above.

Now the problem is as follows.

Again I'm using showtime central at my parents house. The show will sometimes run five minutes, sometimes two hours, and then shuts off, and can not be restarted. What I mean is, there is nothing I can do to get the controller to work again, other than to hook it back up to the computer, open HU, hit the refresh button, and then the controller will work again..........for a while.

Even though I haven't responded to each of you individually, I'd like to thank all of you for trying to help.

Which OS are you running? Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and 10 all the capability to turn off USB ports to save power and that capability is defaulted to "on". You might see if that's what is happening. Power Settings in the control panel, then select the "advanced" area, then USB

Using showtime central, so it's not hooked up to a computer. Ran for 5 hours last night, no problem. Ran for 2 hours tonight, and it's no longer working.

• 2 weeks later...

I hope you guys don't mind me bumping my thread, but the problem still has not been resolved. I opened a ticket and asked for help a week ago, and the response I received when I detailed the problem was "Bummer, what's your order number". I responded with the order number. That was last Monday, and I haven't heard a word since.

Since I last posted in this thread. I have taken all of my parents lights down for them. I tried updating the firmware which did nothing to fix the problem.

The show ran for about an hour, then shut off. Again, I'm using Showtime Central.

Hoping for some other suggestions, and also wondering if the help desk is ever going to respond to me. How long does the typical response take?

Normally they are very fast. I suggest you contact them again or try to call. A direct PM to DevMike might be in order for you. I know nothing about the showtime central controller as I've never purchased one. I prefer direct control with a computer. Since I know nothing about it, my first thought is the power is getting disconnected if even very briefly therefore waiting for the next start time to go again. I have no clue how it works. Really about the only other possibility is that its defective and needs to be returned which you can't do unless they contact you with an RMA. Post another message/update to your help desk ticket which will cause it to be re-posted for someone to read.

Are you using the LOR recommended Kingston SD cards, or other brands?

I ask as that makes a difference in my miniDirector, which is basically the same technology.

Also, did you tell it to loop while power is applied, or did you accidentally set show times?

So are you having the same problems the same days of the week?

Good luck.

When we ask for your Order number, that usually means we think there is an issue with the hardware itself and want to begin the process of an exchange or warranty work.

I found your ticket.  We screwed up on this one and assigned it to the wrong person to do your exchange.    On 01/04 we meant to assign it to the shipping group for exchange, and some how assigned it to repairs.  It's sitting open on their queue since they are waiting for the return of the device, which will never happen because we didn't tell you to return it.  I see you asked about the status on the 7th.  They only look in their queue when they have finished a repair, so it's been sitting there and no one replied to you.  Oops!

I have corrected your ticket and assigned it to shipping.  They will be exchanging the Showtime Central for you.  You should hear from them within a day or so. 

We try to reply to all tickets within 24 hours.  Actually it is usually MUCH faster.  During office hours you'll rarely wait more than 4.  We also like to answer tickets in the evening as well as on weekends.  My apologies for all the problems!!

The other thing to check is to be sure the Showtime Central is within 25 feet of the first AC controller (that is, you are not using a cable longer than 25 feet).  Anything longer and voltage drop becomes an issue.  That can cause random burps and lockups.

When we ask for your Order number, that usually means we think there is an issue with the hardware itself and want to begin the process of an exchange or warranty work.

I found your ticket.  We screwed up on this one and assigned it to the wrong person to do your exchange.    On 01/04 we meant to assign it to the shipping group for exchange, and some how assigned it to repairs.  It's sitting open on their queue since they are waiting for the return of the device, which will never happen because we didn't tell you to return it.  I see you asked about the status on the 7th.  They only look in their queue when they have finished a repair, so it's been sitting there and no one replied to you.  Oops!

I have corrected your ticket and assigned it to shipping.  They will be exchanging the Showtime Central for you.  You should hear from them within a day or so. 

We try to reply to all tickets within 24 hours.  Actually it is usually MUCH faster.  During office hours you'll rarely wait more than 4.  We also like to answer tickets in the evening as well as on weekends.  My apologies for all the problems!!

The other thing to check is to be sure the Showtime Central is within 25 feet of the first AC controller (that is, you are not using a cable longer than 25 feet).  Anything longer and voltage drop becomes an issue.  That can cause random burps and lockups.

Thanks for the response DevMike. I ran the show sitting in their living room last night, so he distance from SC to the controller was about 2 foot. lol   Thanks for working on my problem for me, and hopefully it gets resolved this week.

Thanks for the response DevMike. I ran the show sitting in their living room last night, so he distance from SC to the controller was about 2 foot. lol   Thanks for working on my problem for me, and hopefully it gets resolved this week.

I thought I apologized as well, and it looks like I didn't....

1 - Sorry for the screw up!  We'll get it fixed, I promise!

2 - Sorry for not saying sorry the first time!