Light-O-Rama Forums

Water

JohnD

Interesting idea.

Edit: Ah, now we see the question, versus the initial comment.

Best thing to do is keep them off the ground. Don't try to tape them up, that will simply trap water in there.

Edited by Don

ZipLock baggie. Does the trick every time on my water proof connectors. The rest are wirenuts.... Simple twist on and lay it down.. 

Go down to your auto parts store and pick yourself up a tube of dielectric grease. Put a little on your finger tip then run it over the holes on the cord. Ya wanna press it in, then plug in your cord. I have done this with every single one of my plugs and have had no issues, and we have had almost 18 inches of rain this month alone.

Jerry is dead on. Dielectric is a must have!....Use latex gloves when you first apply it, it can get a little messy.

Jerry is dead on. Dielectric is a must have!....Use latex gloves when you first apply it, it can get a little messy.

Yeah, that stuff is greasy. But it will save yer butt in the long run.

• 4 weeks later...

Just a thought... Wouldnt it be just as easiy and probably a little neater and cleaner instead of using your finger and filling the hole just dip the male end of your plug in it and then plug it in?.. 

I havent tried it as I live in the DESERT and dont get but about 10 inchs of rain for the whole year during a rainy year...  spread out for 12 months, but shouldnt that way work and be less a mess?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A lot of this sounds like overkill and worrying over things you don't need to overkill or worry about.  Keep your connections off the ground, and you should be good.  Don't tape or wrap bags around your connections as you will most likely end up with them full of water (which is why you need to keep them off the ground).  In the 9 years I have done this I have had only one GFCI pop once.  I run my show non-stop all season... rain... snow... sleet... all the stuff the mailman goes through. My secret, keep your connections off the ground.  No more no less.