Light-O-Rama Forums

Epoxy Resin FIlled vs Injection Moulded

EmmienLightFan

I will make it easy for you. Buy injection molded put them out outside after 1 rain you realize you just wasted $1,000.

Epoxy filled. it rains all season and you might lose a pixel or 2.

This is 100 percent from experience.

Oh.

All my pixels so far are Epoxy filled. I was looking at some pixels online. Ray has both for the same price and wire color, so I will get the epoxy resin filled ones. Thanks very much.

I actually immersed a 100 epoxy filled (IP68) pixel string in a bucket of water, lit up for a week. They are outside now, in one of the wettest seasons i have seen since I have been doing this. They are Ray's.

Still going strong. No failures at all. (Knocks on wood)

I actually immersed a 100 epoxy filled (IP68) pixel string in a bucket of water, lit up for a week. They are outside now, in one of the wettest seasons i have seen since I have been doing this. They are Ray's.

Still going strong. No failures at all. (Knocks on wood)

Did you do the same with injection moulded pixels?

Never used them, heard lots of horror stories although, admittedly not recently.

Big fan of the square, filled pixels. I've abused them horribly and never had a failure, and like the look of them too.

Big fan of the square, filled pixels. I've abused them horribly and never had a failure, and like the look of them too.

The pixels on my tree are the square epoxy filled ones from Ray Wu.  The bottom several feet of the tree gets VERY wet from the lawn sprinklers every time the lawn gets watered (OK, in our drought that's not as often or as long as it was the first three years).  Out of the 600 pixels used in their 4th year, I have replaced  less than 10, and most of those were above the sprinkler coverage.

I cannot decide between epoxy filled bullet pixels and epoxy filled square based ones.

I am replacing my very messy dumb RGB ribbons on my window frames with pixels.

At first, I thought that bullet nodes would slip on the 15mm round PVC pipe, but even with only one cable tie/zip tie, the nodes stay still.

Using the square based nodes would require two cable ties on each but I am worried that the pixels would still slip. If I chose these lights, each pixel would have about 2 cm extra wire between, so it would take less pixels, but less bright and detailed effects.

I cannot decide between epoxy filled bullet pixels and epoxy filled square based ones.

I am replacing my very messy dumb RGB ribbons on my window frames with pixels.

At first, I thought that bullet nodes would slip on the 15mm round PVC pipe, but even with only one cable tie/zip tie, the nodes stay still.

Using the square based nodes would require two cable ties on each but I am worried that the pixels would still slip. If I chose these lights, each pixel would have about 2 cm extra wire between, so it would take less pixels, but less bright and detailed effects.

Take a look at the photos of my pixel tree.  I am using square nodes drilled into split 3/4 inch PVC pipe.  I don't have any zip ties holding them in place.  Like Phil, I used glue - in my case I used silicon sealer.  Easy to take out if I need to replace a pixel, but solid enough that they don't move by themselves.

http://newburghlights.org/pixel_tree.html

I don't think that glue will be strong enough. I was going to put the pixels on the outside of the PVC. 22mm PVC pipe is expensive.

I have a almost a thousand square pixels hot glued to PVC on my house. Had one pop off all season. Took 5 minutes to fix and 4 of those was waiting for the gun to warm up.

I have the square and bullet style. Had to replace a string on my tree with a string of square ones. I use pixel mounting strips for my tree and next year I will use pixel clips. Have to agree, stay as far away from the injection ones as possible

Square work best on my pvc pipe or emt. I see the 180 degree with square nodes with a bullet node zip tied the same way you will only see 90 degree of it. 

Square work best on my pvc pipe or emt. I see the 180 degree with square nodes with a bullet node zip tied the same way you will only see 90 degree of it. 

How are you zip tying them down? I have mine laying flat but still see 180.