Light-O-Rama Forums

Power to the System

wjdoy

Greetings, Just born 7 days ago to LOR. I have a single 16 channel controller with the two power plugs plugged into a power strip which I plugged into a wireless outlet controller so that I can power the system on by the remote for the wireless outlet controller. I also use the director to run my show. When I press the button to turn on my system within a few seconds the lights that are connected to the LOR flash randomly for about 2 seconds then approximately 40 seconds later the show starts and runs perfectly.

This doesn't happen if I just turn on the power strip with the power strip plugged directly into the wall. I'm wondering if anyone knows if this is normal or am I asking for trouble powering up my system in this manner?

How do others put power to the system? Do they leave it on all of the time? How do you trigger the show to start without it scheduled?

Thanks.

I run my show from a PC and leave the controllers powered up all of the time. If I want to start an unscheduled show I do it from the PC. I'm new this year as well and my way of doing things may not be the best, but it works for me.

Z

I run the 1st controller through a timer.  Controller 1 runs to the Director and that's what triggers the start of the show.  All other controllers are always plugged in. Haven't had any issues with lag, only have an issue when the timer breaks!

I'm also using a PC to control the show.  All the controllers stay powered up for either the entire show season, or for most of it, all year round since I run a landscape lighting show all year long.

I run all my controllers through timers I get from Harbor Freight. Cheepies that that are $3.99. They have "dip switch" type buttons for setting the time. They aren't for exact time but get the job done. I only need them to turn the controllers on about 30 minutes before show start and off about 30 minutes at shows end. These are "indoor" timers and are in my garage plugged into the main extention cords leading out to the controllers. No issues and work great for my purposes.

What you are getting is a voltage spike from the wireless FOB that controls the outlets.   I would never use one of these because if it's flickering your lights on/off on power up, that  little voltage spike may end up damaging a triac or two in your controller, possibly other electronic IC's on the PCB.    Usually it's the triacs that go moreso than the IC's, and if that happens you're either going to have one of the following issues on the channel where a triac has gotten damaged or blown:

#1. Channel may keep whatever is plugged into on at 50% at all times, even when no show or anything is running, it may still fade, shimmer, twinkle, etc. but may not go fully off.

#2. Channel may get stuck FULL ON and no control

#3. Channel may get stuck FULL OFF and no control

Any indication of any of the above could mean a triac might need to be replaced on that channel.

Best way is to use a computer and set show times and allow the computer to handle it all{or an MP3 Director unit, just not as flexible as a computer}, just leave controllers plugged in and powered, mine are powered 24/7/365.  They are only turned off {unplugged} if I am going to move one to a different location, and it would be the only one powered down, not all of them.  Or unplugged if I am going to do a repair or blow any dirt or debris that may find it's way inside the controller box.