Light-O-Rama Forums

Trouble Connecting Pixels to SanDevices E6804

mpageler

Just can't figure out how pixel wires attach to 4 pin terminal blocks on the e6804.  I  see the openings for the 4 pins, with a metal terminal strip inside the opening.  I thought maybe the wire was just tension held when I pokede  a pixel wire in but doesn't hold.

So  reviewed manual again and just says wires attach to green "plugayble" terminal block.

This would seem so simple but what am I missing. Not missing sometype of wiring harness that plugs in am I?

Mike

Those are two part euro connectors.  The first part (the socket) is soldered on the E6804.  There is a plug that "plugs" into the socket.  You should be able to separate the two pieces as they generally are plugged together when shipped.  Just pull up on the plug.

Once you have the plug piece in hand, you'll notice a row of screws.  Loosen the screws, stick the wire in (order depends on the pixel type), and tighten the screws.  You can do each wire individually.  The wire should be captive if screwed down correctly.

When all wires are in place on the plug, just plug it back into the socket.  It only goes in one way.

Would appear that I didn't get the plugs.  Looking down onto the 4 outlet terminal blocks, just see 4 female openings on each of the 4 blocks, with a silver metal strip inside the opening. Assuming this is the socket part which is solder to the board...don't think I'll pull up on that...lol

I did  get it directly from SanDevices.  Here's the terminimal blocks as shipped from them. These are just the female sockets?

post-13958-0-07016900-1450570376_thumb.j

Edited by mpageler

Email Jim@sandevices.com and tell him you are missing the plugs. He'll get you some in the mail.

In the meantime, here's a link for them: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Molex/39500-0004/?qs=%2fha2pyFadujUkfAJ9wAzPVTVxX6FW76XNl67ZQ4hXdcsoqsFPMjKJQ%3d%3d

I try to always have extra on hand

Photo's kind of fuzzy but they look like the top of the plugs to me.

Look from the side and you should be able to see the join line about a quarter inch above the the board.

The plugs are kind of angled. The socket is just rectangular

agree with PhilMassey; looks like the plugs are there, I can see the slot blade screw tops; the plugs should "unplug" from the sockets

Those are the plugs now unscrew the small screw all the way and slip the wire in and tighten the screw in it should hold the wire tight

Edited by Dennis Laff

After posting picture, found a section on doitselfchtristmas's wiki pge on connectors and had pictures of sockets and plugs.  Came to conclussion that I did have plugs and gave the "plug" a pull and it came off.  I do see 4 holes on the side for wires.  Will have to tin the pixel leads and insert them.  do they just instern in and hold with tension?

Thanks for the  help.  Put cmb24d together with no problems but this e6804 is sure kicking my butt.

There is not a lot of room for tinned ends. Bare wire works fine.

You can get the screws pretty tight. I usually clamp the wires to the enclosure for strain relief.

I just figured it out.  Screws on the sides open up the terminals on top...duh.   Being visually impaired, I have to put a magifying glass on thinkgs and kind of stumble around a little. Was trying to put wires somewhere on the side until the bulb in my old brain went on.

the screw heads are tiny and the holes the wires go in our tiny, I have to put my glasses on to see them

I personally prefer to always tin the wires so they don't fray, but either way works

Just loosen the screws on the side and poke the wire in. I used to do it the wrong way and poke the wire in outside of the hole it should go in, and loosen the screw all the way to the edge of the hole pushed on the wire.

After a while I worked it out.

You will find that a lot of pixels and RGB devices use this connection.