Light-O-Rama Forums

Icicle Lights RGB (dumb or smart)

HVACR

I am thinking for next year at this point. Does anyone make a Icicle RGB light sets? I have found some that are dumb and most likely work with a LOR dumb controller. Is LOR planning on introducing such a product in the future? I did a search here on the forum and found very little on the subject. If I have missed the thread please sent the link. Thinking about CCB on my roof peaks for next year. Going to have to step it up a notch if I want to stop traffic. Thanks HVACR.

Several years ago, I purchased several sets of the GE Color Effects Icicle lights (26 icicles in each set).  They come with a controller and remote control to control the colors.  I never used them until this year.

I integrated them into my display this year, and am using a San Devices E681 to control them.  I interface the E681 to my LOR setup using San Devices' ELOR module.  This configuration has been working great except for a few random failures in some of the icicles.  I ended up replacing an entire string because there were at least 8 icicles with various color issues.

Not sure what other RGB controlers can work with these icicles.  I appears the LOR PixCon16 does NOT support GE Color Effects.

Here is a link to a video showing the Icicles.  They really do look like icicles!

https://youtu.be/Rsud40qQMvA

Merry Christmas!

Walt

Edited by wbaker4

Ray Wu sells 5v and 12v RGB icicles which all the LEDs in a strand (down) light up the same color, but each strand is controllable.

I made some RGB pixel icicles where every LED was controlled. They look really good.

It took a couple of days and cost about $20 for the lights, and $5 for the huge amount of heat shrink I used.

Here they are in action:

nAhs9An.jpg

I used WS2811 pixel nodes and Boscoyo strips and created mine. 10 pixels per drop and they surpassed even what I imagined. Mine are created like a vertical matrix 10 high and 30 wide. I added 30 more sections above, 10 pixels embedded in PEX tubing.

I don't have a video yet, with the exception of a visitors video on my Facebook page. They are quite a ways away in this video, (Top Right) but you can see, they look amazing. 

The lights in the video, all the strands of lights do the same thing.

He's using smart pixels so would be able to control each pixel. The stimple seaquence

he used may not show this.

I have watched that video before.

Every other icicle, the data connection is connected together. Every other icicle does the same thing.

That is OK for him because he wants them to look like meteors.

I used WS2811 pixel nodes and Boscoyo strips and created mine. 10 pixels per drop and they surpassed even what I imagined. Mine are created like a vertical matrix 10 high and 30 wide. I added 30 more sections above, 10 pixels embedded in PEX tubing.

I don't have a video yet, with the exception of a visitors video on my Facebook page. They are quite a ways away in this video, (Top Right) but you can see, they look amazing. 

What a good idea. I think I am going to do this next year.

I don't know whether I like my icicles. I may use them next year. They look very messy and there are several bad connections. Sometimes when I get home they are flickering crazily because the ground connection came out again.

If i do keep them, they will go where they are and icicles like you just described will go at the top.

What a good idea. I think I am going to do this next year.

I don't know whether I like my icicles. I may use them next year. They look very messy and there are several bad connections. Sometimes when I get home they are flickering crazily because the ground connection came out again.

If i do keep them, they will go where they are and icicles like you just described will go at the top.

Just make sure you create the Visualizer, exactly how you are going to create the drops. Mine are 2" spacing between each pixel and 7" between drops. Mine starts at the top (p1) down to p10, All start at the top. I even have a few words on mine and you can read them just fine. I'm quite happy with the way they turned out.