Light-O-Rama Forums

Questions on future needs for running LOR software

Robert Burton

I am possibly looking at getting another laptop to run my show next year. Had the screen go out in the laptop and just kind of waiting for the other shoe to drop... so here we are. Couple of quick questions;

1) Is there going to be any future way of running a LOR show on a raspberry pi?  I keep hearing praises of running shows on Falcon Player. Also heard some horror stories. Kind of wanting to stay in the LOR atmosphere since it is what I know and can work in quickly. Not really interested in running it in a director. I want to be able to change shows in real time.  Many times the traffic has been such, I would change to a shorter show to accommodate.

2) If not a pi , then what types of laptops have people used?  Or desktops?  Not going to have a huge budget on this either. Again, this is to RUN the shows.

LOR has said they have no intention of porting the software to any other OS, so if it doesn't run windows it won't run LOR. At this point a pi can't do it and I don't see it happening in the future.

Let me say as I have said in some other threads... I know NOT what I am talking about here. :-)

I have just heard how the pi seems to be pretty powerful in it's self. I am sure it is because of it's operating system and the barebones stuff for sure.

I think you could do all the sequencing in LOR and then convert the sequences using xlights and then use the pi for the show. You would be able to change the show on the fly, but not update a sequence.

Running a show does not require any substantial CPU horsepower.  I'm running my almost 5,000 channel Christmas show on an HP desktop that is at least five years old and has a Pentium 4 processor.  I paid all of $80 for it as a lease return refurb from TigerDirect.com three years ago.  I did have a little lag on one song where I was regularly switching or fast fading almost 2,500 channels at the same time, however that problem was resolved by using an intensity file export from SuperStar.

Several year old desktops are almost give away items, so I don't see the point in going to a bunch of effort to port the show to something else that would cost more anyway, adn give less flexibility to your show.