Light-O-Rama Forums

Box store (Lowes/ Home Depot ) LED string lights

Brad99

I'm new and I've been thinking about ordering showtime central starter package but I have a bunch of The box stores (Lowes/Home Depot) LED string lights will these lights work with this package or do I need to start looking at different type of lights?

They should, DO NOT use Martha Steward lights!!!!!!!

agree completely; made the mistake several years ago of buying some; not only wouldn't they dim, even just plugged in they looked terribel

They should, DO NOT use Martha Steward lights!!!!!!!

+1 on NOT using Martha Stewart LED strings. More than one report here on the forum of them catching fire when dimmed.

The Home Accent Holiday led lights from Home Depot work great.

They are good lights. Just some FYI, I have used them for three years, my first 20 strands started to fail on me last year. I found that moisture and road salt will degrade them very quickly. Home depot replaced them, but now I only use the sealed socket-full wave lenght(pro-grade) LEDs. I live in northern wisconsin next to a hwy. Big box store LEDs do not hold up. Looking for the cause of my problems with the LEDs, is how I found plant christmas, and LOR. First year with LOR, all is good.  

Merry Christmas,

Gary

Automotive Non-Conductive grease for auto light sockets works wonders for moisture in sockets for Big Box store L.E.D. strands.  I have some I've been using going on over 10+ years now, before I added the non-conductive grease, I had several fail in the first two years.   I know it's a pain, but it's a bigger pain to me when several L.E.D.'s on sealed strands or the entire sealed strand goes out.

So I'll put in a little elbow grease and keep using the big box store replaceable L.E.D. strands, they have worked for me for many moons and I much prefer the ease of being able to just pull an L.E.D. bulb and push in another without having to try and cut out, then splice in another L.E.D. in a sealed strand.   And it's not always that easy just to take down and replace an entire strand or splice in a bulb on a sealed strand because of it's location in a display.     I'll take the big box cheapo L.E.D.'s anytime.

But I do agree, don't use or buy ANY Christmas {or Halloween, if she makes them} L.E.D. strands with the Martha Stewart name on it.  They are useless, unless you want to burn something down, like your house!

Edited by Orville