Light-O-Rama Forums

Running out of com ports

ebrown1972

Next year I will be adding a few more networks and as of now I use 3 networks and all 3 of my computers com ports are used by those networks. When I add more networks next year what is it that I will need to purchase to add more com ports? i am looking for something I can plug into one of my com ports that will have several usb ports split from it. Please post a link to what I will need if you can. Thanks.

Just a USB hub. I STRONGLY recommend a powered hub rather than one that only gets power from the computer. I'm on my phone so hard to post a link, but I'll aim to do so when I get back on a computer.

+1 on what Jim stated.  Also make sure it's an HIGH SPEED USB Hub!    There are some that aren't, and they could cause lag or other issues if not High Speed!  

If you have a spare slot in your computer you could buy a 5 port high speed hub that plugs into that, even though it gets its power from the motherboard, I've been using one for over 7+ years now and that's what my USB RS485B dongle is plugged into, no problems with speed or lag in my displays when running shows from my computer.

Ahhhh USB ports!

When I saw running out of COM ports I had to read the post! I think Windows had at least 250 !

That's a lot of networks and would be an AWESOME show!

Ahhhh USB ports!

When I saw running out of COM ports I had to read the post! I think Windows had at least 250 !

That's a lot of networks and would be an AWESOME show!

I thought this. I was wondering whether to mention something.

Thanks for all of the info. I will be looking to get a powered hub soon. One more question. What is the difference between usb 2.0 and 3.0? My show laptop is an older Lenovo Think pad r61.

USB 3 is faster, BUT, only with 3.0 hardware. It's backwards compatible though, so 2.0 hardware will work with 3.0, just won't be any quicker.