Light-O-Rama Forums

Amature Radio License

Doug Farish

Not sure if this is the place to ask but here goes. I am a ham radio operator, does this limit me to the low power part 15 or can I do more? My lic is Tech Plus.

Thanks,

Doug

If you are talking about your FM transmitter, that is outside the amateur allocations, so therefore you would be transmitting under the same FCC Part 15 rules that the rest of us are.  And you couldn't transmit on amateur frequencies (with more power) because you would be violating several of the regulations in FCC Part 97 (broadcasting and music comes to mind for starters).  Besides, most people could not listen to your lights that way.

It has no effect. A Ham licence is not a commercial broadcasting license. In fact if you get caught with a "pirate radio station" you will lose your ham licence plus possible fines.

Bill Paulus

KD2EOY

Vice President

Southern Counties Amateur Radio Assn. 

I know its not a LOR question but How hard is it to get a Ham license now days? last time I checked they wanted morse code, technical building etc. of radio etc... Is it gotten any easier for those of us who want to be able to help out in a emergency or just talk at times around the world?

That is what I thought. I was just wanting to make sure. I have had m y ham license for over 20 years now and sure do not want to lose them. I can live with the part 15.

Thanks all for the answers. You really helped.

Doug

I know its not a LOR question but How hard is it to get a Ham license now days? last time I checked they wanted morse code, technical building etc. of radio etc... Is it gotten any easier for those of us who want to be able to help out in a emergency or just talk at times around the world?

Hey Sarge,

As Jim said, no morse code required now.

I obtained my ham license about two years ago for the same reason you are wanting one. With our massive tornadoes in Oklahoma, this is a great asset to have when you lose power and the cell phone waves are all jammed up. Plus I can listen to the NWS and storm chasers and get info that news stations don't have or share.

The class was easy for me. The test had me concerned but I passed. A little studying will help.

Good luck,

Tom

I forwarded the question to my brother, a HAM operator for about 40+ years.  Here is his response.

Glad to try to answer but the information is not complete. He says he is a ham and then asks if he is limited to low power. Is he talking about his power limitations as a tech plus ON the ham bands? If not what power limitation is he talking about. Here is a link that lays out the various power and band limitations of each ham class. It is NOT simple. You have to read and seek out the information for your particular license. 
http://www.hamuniverse.com/frequencyallocations.html

• The topic was locked