Light-O-Rama Forums

First Year set up

TrevorJCW

Hello everyone! I thought I would introduce myself and ask my first question all in one post. I am Trevor, I live in the Central New England area, 2016 will be my first official year of LOR software and my first show, I fix computers in my spare time so I am pretty familiar with programming as well. I've always wanted to do a LOR show, just never really dedicated the money to do so. I have actually been wanting to do this for a while now, and have actually created a few sequences on my own to a couple songs just for fun! So my first question is, I currently have a 100 amp service at my house and I plan on starting out small and doing 32 channel LOR set up and slowly work my way up to a 64 channel LOR show. The Residential boxes from what I read allow a maximum of 30 amps. I currently have about 15 to 20,000 LED lights (poor estimate lol) I just don't want to go and buy controllers just to find out I need to upgrade my service panel which is quite expensive. There is a guy online by the name of Jon Storm He had his entire show running on 16 Amps  with I think 64 channels or more. So that is my is my big first question. I am sure ill be on here a lot more if I go through with the show. Also Attached a picture of my 2015 show at my house now. Thank you and Merry Christmas! 

Hi Trevor,

I also have a 100 amp service on my house.  I have about 50K of lights with about 10k being LED.   If you are going mostly LED, power will not be an issue.   I'm only about an hour and a half from you in Claremont.  Welcome to the craziness.

• 3 weeks later...

Each 100 LED string consumes about 4.8 watts, or .04 Amps (4.8 watts/ 120 volts = .04 amps).  So, 10,000 LEDs would consume about 480 watts, or about 4 amps.  Your home's smallest circuit might be 15 amps, so you should be able to run off of your existing circuits.  A single, 16 channel LOR controller CTB16PC can handle approximately 30 amps (approximately 15 amps on each bank of 8 output cords), and uses only 5 watts itself when it is sitting there, idle.

This compares to a 100 string of incandescent mini lights consuming about 40 watts, or approximately 8.3 times the wattage of the LED string.

Ed

• Like 1