Light-O-Rama Forums

Help - broken jacks.

driver168

Please see attached image.

I tried the Help desk but they are not helping. 

I need help trying to get everything linked together, getting around the several broken jacks.

I'm using the USB-RS485 and the standard LOR configuration. I was able to get around the broken jack on the first CTB16 by using the phone jack. I can't do that on the last CTB16 as the phone jack has a problem. When I plug a cable into it, (nothing on the other end) the LED goes out. So it has to be last, as I only have one working jack. The Pixcon has a broken J3, so I am in a bind there. Would a DMX set up work better using the extra jacks from the Pixcon? How would the cabling work doing it that way?

post-14519-0-98843100-1449683486_thumb.j

My first question is what are you doing to damage so many RJ-45 jacks?

However for a solution.  For your locations that have only one working connector, use an RJ-45 splitter and a SHORT cable from one port of the splitter to the one working port on a controller.  This is not the ideal solution, but will work.  A better solution would be to use multiple LOR networks so the controllers that have only one functional connector can be on their own network.  Downside is all your sequences need to be edited to reflect the different network for the affected channels, and you need to buy several more RS-485 adapters.  Best solution is to fix (or get fixed) the bad connectors and stop breaking them.  Downside is time.  Especially if this is repair work you need to have done for you, it will take time and assuming you are running a Christmas show, time is something you don't have...

Here are a few RJ-45 splitters:

http://www.amazon.com/RJ45-Ethernet-Splitter-Connector-Adapter/dp/B003C2QS90

http://www.amazon.com/Rerii-Splitter-Adapter-Ethernet-Connector/dp/B014QVTZOA

Or if you don't like Amazon, http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=7294

Here is a 1 foot cable.  If you build your own cables, I would make it shorter than that (the one situation where I have a splitter has a 2 inch cable - including the connectors).

http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=2125

• Like 1

k6ccc

Well, 2 of the jacks got damaged by tripping over the cable. The other on is from the kit and I probably did not solder it well. 

I'm going to try the splitter. I just made one to see if it works. 

Thank you for the advice.

Mike

Hint, tie off the Cat-5 cables to something solid so if you trip over them, it does not strain the connectors.  The only controllers I have that are not year round permanent installations are three CCP controllers for my arches.  They are each mounted on a pair of 1 x 3 inch wooden stakes hammered into the ground.  The Cat-5 cables wrap around one of the stakes a couple of times before being connected to the controllers.  Also all the cables are ty-wrapped to one of the stakes.  I also stake the Cat-5 and power cords for the CCP controllers to the ground every few feet with tent stakes (the cheap ones that are a 3/16 inch aluminum rod bent over sort into the shape of an upside down J).  Makes it pretty hard to trip on them.  That last part may not be as much of a deal where there are lots of cables in a bundle, but a lone piece of purple Cat-5 or green SPT cord laying on the grass is pretty easy to miss - especially in the dark.

I have mounted a female RJ45 connected by a short cable inside each of my controller boxes to isolate the somewhat fragile jacks on the controllers. Hot glue and cable clamps secure them to the inside of the boxes providing strain relief. The connectors to the boards are "permanent", never move and can't wiggle around.

I had jack problems once and found out that the wire pins inside had gotten bent in ward and were not making contact any more. (this was from the cat 5 wire connector end not was flexable do the reinforcement around it and when I closed the lid it would put lots of pressure on it). The fix was a magnifying glass and a very fine pick and then just bent the wires back out.  I also cut all the reinforcement off the ends so they could flex. 

I can't remember where it is but I am sure I read somewhere in a manual or on the LOR website that bootless RJ45 connectors were recommended for just that reason.

I will steal the words from someone on here.

If first you don't succeed then read the instructions.

If second you don't succeed follow them.