Light-O-Rama Forums

PC AutoStartup of Show

rwthib

First Year.

Running Show from an older Laptop (Windows 7)

Would like to have the PC Shutdown after show is done for evening then power back up and run show next day.

Anyone know how to get it to do that?

if your asking for the pc to run the show, then shutdown, restart the pc automatically and run the show without an operator, never heard of that but like Mr P said, LOR has a built in program to run your show, so you can just leave the pc on all the time

As long as you have administrator rights on the computer, having a scheduled task to shut down the computer is pretty easy.  As I recall, having it wake up is also not difficult, but I don't remember the specifics right now.  I should be able to dig that up if you can't find it.

Shutting the computer down can be done by lor, Basically create a blank sequence, go to edit > Windows Command.   put the following command in the box.

shutdown -s -t 30

-s tells the computer to shutdown you could put -r for restart

-t 30 represents the time in seconds until shutdown this can be any number if you want to add a note/message to it here is a good example

example: if you want to have a comment added to it. shutdown -s -t 30 -c "LOR Show has ended computer shutting down"

Save this sequence and create a show and have the schedule editor run it after your show or when ever you want it to shutdown.

if you happen to be on your computer and want it to stay on when the shutdown dialog box comes up you can type  shutdown -a   into run to abort shutdown. 

As for turning your computer on I don't know if it's possible with a laptop (at least any I ever used.) Most desktop's have a setting to turn on at a set time in the bios settings (hit delete key (or some other key depending on system)  when you first turn your computer on)

Edited by TitusCarnathan

I misunderstood about the shutdown and startup. If you are wanting your computer to shutdown and startup the shutdown is easy it's the startup that is more difficult and will depend on your bios. If you go into the power management of your bios you can schedule the startup there. Look for the Resume on RTC alarm, you can set the day and time you want the computer to power on.

• Like 1

Thanks Mr. P on the startup.  I knew it was something like that, but did not remember it well enough to try to explain it.  Just for grins, I tested it on this old Dell desktop and it worked perfectly.

And TitusCarnathan, you still are supposed to need to have to have administrator rights to execute a shutdown command (whether you do it from a command prompt, as a scheduled task, or as you said from a LOR initiated Windows command.  Granted that most end users only use one login ID on the computer and that one account has administrator rights, but for those that don't, the command may fail.  The advantage of doing it as a scheduled task (if you don't have admin rights) is that you can enter the administrator password as part of setting up the scheduled task, and it will be remembered.

I know you would still need admin rights, It just makes it nicer to have it in lor for scheduling purposes.

Shutting the computer down can be done by lor, Basically create a blank sequence, go to edit > Windows Command.   put the following command in the box.

shutdown -s -t 30

-s tells the computer to shutdown you could put -r for restart

-t 30 represents the time in seconds until shutdown this can be any number if you want to add a note/message to it here is a good example

example: if you want to have a comment added to it. shutdown -s -t 30 -c "LOR Show has ended computer shutting down"

Save this sequence and create a show and have the schedule editor run it after your show or when ever you want it to shutdown.

if you happen to be on your computer and want it to stay on when the shutdown dialog box comes up you can type  shutdown -a   into run to abort shutdown. 

As for turning your computer on I don't know if it's possible with a laptop (at least any I ever used.) Most desktop's have a setting to turn on at a set time in the bios settings (hit delete key (or some other key depending on system)  when you first turn your computer on)

My older show laptop does NOT have an option in the bios for a scheduled start. I was looking to do exactly as the OP asked a couple of days ago. It might be a laptop thing to keep you from accidentally draining your battery.

Mike

If the bios has the option to resume after a power out, you could put it on a timer. When the timer kicks in, the machine SHOULD boot.