Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR Power question

mikegjr

Good Afternoon All total newbie question.

My wife and I are looking into getting into LOR and retiring our current 6 channel system. We are looking at starting with the 16 channel system but have a question that i have not been able to determine via youtube videos etc.

To do a LOR show do we need to have a dedicated 30 amp service box put in OR can i just use our existing outlets in our house? We are currently running over 10,000 LEDS off the 6 channel system on a single outlet with no problem.

if this has been covered before sorry for repeating.

No it is not required to have a dedicated circuit. If all your lights are running on that outlet they still will work with the controller. The controller is not going to increase how much power you're using. And if you're using all LED you should be good.

• Like 1

If you are only running 10,000 LED's, I doubt you would need anymore than 10amps. Considering, it's doubtful they are all on at the same time. I run 70,000 and had no problem ( so far) in the last 4 years on a 15 amp supply.

• Like 1

I was concerned about power at first, not so much about my LED's but the controllers themselves. I have been unable to get an answer about how much power they consume. My show has 5 controllers and well over 100,000 LED's many of which are C-7's and C-9's. During my test runs I had everything on one 15 amp circuit and it never blew the breaker. I get a ton of snow up here and brutally cold weather that would make it miserable to try and reroute supply lines if there was a failure so I seperated the show onto two circuits as close to halves as I could just for piece of mind. I know the old school guys don't care for LED's and that's fine, I'm enjoying the minimal $35 increase on my electric bill for the month of December. I bought 90% of my LED's for pennies on the dollar during the after christmas sales at the box stores, so the electric savings is real. What I am really enjoying is not having to monkey around with strings that don't work or only half work. I have literally had one string out of almost 2000 fail in any way in the last 4 years and only 2 diodes burn out. Although this is my first year with LOR I have been doing a big static display my entire adult life, I can't imagine adding the agrivation of incan's to all of the work of putting on a show. So there's my two cents, throw another fiver with it and get yourself a Starbucks.

Z

• Like 1

If you need to know what your controllers are pulling get a Kill-A-Watt meter, every light enthusiast should have one as an essential part of their toolkit.

If you need to know what your controllers are pulling get a Kill-A-Watt meter, every light enthusiast should have one as an essential part of their toolkit.

Yep have one those and love it. Was checking the load draw with our current display to make sure we were in the green

• 3 weeks later...

LOR told me that their CTB16PC 16 channel controller consumes about 5 watts, when idle.

Ed

I know the old school guys don't care for LED's and that's fine,

Excuse me??? Where did you hear that false statement from???