Light-O-Rama Forums

Misplaced Serial-RJ45 Converter

Guest guest

So yeah... went to test my boards and sequences for the first time (yeah yeah, I know, way behind everyone else - I'm running my display static right now, was planning on nailing down the LOR this weekend) and well... my serial-rj45 connector has grown legs and walked away (more like probably fell off a shelf into one of the empty boxes on the floor I threw away a couple weeks ago).

ANYWAY, as Dan is backed up 2 weeks on orders (which would put me up and going just over a week before Christmas), I figured I'd try and track down a serial-rj45 adapter myself, which I found at CompUSA for $3 - figured why not give her a try. Only thing is, it's a "kit", the 8 wires/pins attached to the rj45 jack are loose, so you can pin them anywhere in the serial port and screw it down.

Is this possible? Or is there something special about the ones sold by Dan? If it is possible, what would the pin arrangement be? The colors coming out, looking at the back of the RJ45, Left to Right, are:

Blue, Orange, Black, Red, Green, Yellow, Brown, White

Thanks for any help or suggestions you all may have.

Do not use the serial adaptor you get for $3...

The SC485 is NOT a DB9-RJ54 serial adaptor! It has a circuit board in it that converts the PC's RS232 electrical interface into a RS485 electrical interface... That is why I do not charge $3 for them....

Order one online. Existing customers that have problems are taken care of first... It will ship today if you order by 4:00PM East

A question oalong the same lines dan. I have my converter, but it is literally hanging by its wires. When I got it out this year it just fell apart. In order to get everything to work right I have to rig it. Just curious if there was a warranty on this as well. I remember someone saying something about a 1 year warranty on your items, but it is working, just not sure for how long. And I bought the controller and stuff this time last year so it might be a bit out of warranty. Thanks

Steven Singleton Jr. wrote:

A question oalong the same lines dan. I have my converter, but it is literally hanging by its wires. When I got it out this year it just fell apart. In order to get everything to work right I have to rig it. Just curious if there was a warranty on this as well. I remember someone saying something about a 1 year warranty on your items, but it is working, just not sure for how long. And I bought the controller and stuff this time last year so it might be a bit out of warranty. Thanks

Steve,

Is the metal part that connects to the serial port loose from the plastic housing? If so you can just carefully snap it back together. Just make sure the wires do not get stuck in it but it should snap back in place unless the plastic housing has broken.

Also, Dan, while we're on the subject of the RS232->RS485 converter....have you thought about adding a "link light" to the converter just like the ones on the controllers? As I was working on my display last night, I had to walk across the room and look out the window at a controller I had left open to see if the link light was lit. It would be nice to be able to see from the adapter...don't know if that's even possible the way LOR is set up, but thought it might be a nice addition.

Thanks

Well dan it is shut, but it is just SO loose. Not sure why it loosened up so much. Like I said it is still working, but I have to rig it to sit just right in order to have everything work. I connected it to the serial port and tightened it up, and it would not work. So I had to loosen it up, and set a coffee cup up next to it to make it pull a little to the right. After doing that it works fine. Might just have to buy a new one after the season.

Steve,

If it is falling apart I will replace it. BUT FIRST.... It sounds like it is the RJ45 end that is loose. If that is true then you can use a little screwdriver to reach in on the side and kind of pry it forward. It should then lock into place. If you don't get what I mean then dont try. (I'm not even sure I get what I mean!)