Light-O-Rama Forums

Pixel upgrading

aesl1982

So this next year I'm going to be migrating to all pixels pretty much. It will require about 22 more ccps in addition to the 9 I already have. So that's gonna be roughly 10,000 channels. I imagine im gonna need more than the three networks I have now. I only have three USB ports on computers. So how would I go about getting more that three networks. Or is time to say thanks for teaching me LOR and move on to DIY and different platform

Well if you use a pixel controller that runs on a E1-31 network you don't use usb com ports anymore you use the Ethernet port off your computer.

Well if you use a pixel controller that runs on a E1-31 network you don't use usb com ports anymore you use the Ethernet port off your computer.
yah I understand that. And that's if you go to a different platform also. Right now I'm using ccps from LOR and they use that USB ports with the rs485 adapters. Show already lags with only 9 of them on three networks. Guess it's too much data. Anyways this is all dependent on if they end up coming out with the extensions for the pixels

When 500k speeds first came out I ran some tests with 12 CCB's programmed (24 strings.) I didn't notice any problems then.

9 CCP's on 3 networks? That's the same as 6 CCR's on 3 networks. If that's lagging for you, then I'd be wondering if something isn't set right. At 500k you shouldn't be seeing lag with only that amount of pixels.

When 500k speeds first came out I ran some tests with 12 CCB's programmed (24 strings.) I didn't notice any problems then.

9 CCP's on 3 networks? That's the same as 6 CCR's on 3 networks. If that's lagging for you, then I'd be wondering if something isn't set right. At 500k you shouldn't be seeing lag with only that amount of pixels.

The pixels don't lag. It's the other stuff that does. Network one is 8regular controllers set at 115k network two is 4 ccps set and 2 regular controllers set at 500 k and network three is 5 ccps set at 500k. The lag is only in a couple songs when stuff really gets going good. The ccps don't lag though the regular channels so. Like the singing faces are at 500k and they tend to lag

I'm hoping I can run three networks with 31 ccps. That would be amazing. I like LOR a lot and love the ease of use. I did hear they were making extensions for the ccps as well. So if that goes through. That's a big plus. Plus Don prolly get some of my sequencing lol.

another route you can go is to buy somerthing like a Sandevices controller which outputs DMX, you connect ethernet (e1.31) to it and then you can hook 16 CCP's that controller.. (or use a 4 port board and place 4 on each e1.31 if you need localized control)...

I run all of my CCP's in this manner and that way I dont have to deal with mega LOR networks..

-Christopher

To get more USB outputs, if you're going that way, buy a USB hub. I suggest the E1.31 route though.

x1 on the E1.31 route. I wish I had mad that move sooner.

Mike

The reason I will stick with ccp's is because next year I will be outlining my windows and roof lines and things of that nature. I will be having a lot of long runs. To me it just seems easier to outline each of my windows with ccp's and have the controller mounted right next to each window and or roof line. A cat5 from ccp to the next ccp and I'm done. No worry of power injection or anything like that. One day I may jump into e1 31 but right now I just do not feel like learning something new. I guess I'm just lazy!!!!!!!!!!

The reason I will stick with ccp's is because next year I will be outlining my windows and roof lines and things of that nature. I will be having a lot of long runs. To me it just seems easier to outline each of my windows with ccp's and have the controller mounted right next to each window and or roof line. A cat5 from ccp to the next ccp and I'm done. No worry of power injection or anything like that. One day I may jump into e1 31 but right now I just do not feel like learning something new. I guess I'm just lazy!!!!!!!!!!
exactly my thinking ebrown only thing I don't like. Is my windows may not use all 50 nodes. So I'm stuck with left overs. Or not enough in some cases possibly. So the diy is in the back of my mind but the time is a major factor for me. I don't have a lot of time to be soldering and stuff. Kind of like pick my poison lol.

If they make the extensions for ccps then I'm definitely using them and prolly buying about 25/35 of them. Without extensions im kinda a toss up because the windows are too far apart to use on ccp controller. So I'd be wasting half the controller