Light-O-Rama Forums

E 1.31 and WiFi Question... I missed the boat somewhere

gmac

OK,   I did what I thought was tons of research but it's not working and hopefully some of you guys that really understand this stuff might help.

I have a 32 string w/50 pixels  per string 360  deg tree.......I purchased a Linksys tri band router Model EA9200 that stated it could transmit up to 1.3 Gbps wireless data on it's own 5Gh ban and a WiFi extender (Bridge) to hook my controllers into at the tree that states it can also do 1200 Mbps wireless speed on it's own 5Gh ban and after watching it I was so disappointed to see lags areas of the song that the light sequences seemed completely skipped and it looks a mess and I don't even have it running in the show at this time, (A lot of time and money sitting dark). The units received almost a 5 star rating on the reviews and said it could stream blue Ray movies so I thought this would do the job...boy was I wrong!!

The songs average approx 35-60 mbs in size and the router is inside the house and the bridge is approx 100' away from the router ........I can see the network using WiFi as far as with the bridge 250' away and i can't use cat 5 cuz it goes across the street but when I used cat 5 for a test everything works.

Hope I gave enough info ............any help sure would be appreciated.

Off hand, you shouldn't be having any throughput issues if everything is working, set up right, AND your next door neighbor doesn't just happen to be streaming all 8 of his wireless security cameras on the same channel.  Is your bridge also capable of the same high speed and band operation?  Remember that to get that wiz bang high capacity, BOTH ends of the radio link must support it.  For example, you can have the fanciest tri band access point ever built, but if the other end of the link only supports 802.11b, you're limited to that FAR smaller capacity.

BTW, Don't believe that 1.3 Gbps rating.  Not by a long shot.  They MIGHT be able to demonstrate that in a lab somewhere (although I doubt it), but nothing close to that in the real world.  Remember, that's the marketing figure.  Cut that by close to an order of magnitude and you have a far more likely real world number.

Is there a reason you attempted it on WiFi rather than running a cable?

Just my humble opinion.  I'm a radio guy professionally and I firmly believe that radio is great and wonderful.  However, a wired connection almost ALWAYS beats a wireless connection unless you NEED it to be wireless.

Thanks Jim:  My pixel tree is set up across the street and the township won't allow me to run wire overhead.........

Something I don't understand my files are 35-60 Mg  and the router will stream a say 1-2gb movie so my question why can't it 

keep up with say 35-60 Mb.

If this unit can't do the job is there anything else out there that I'm might not be aware of?

I ran both of my pixel trees, two fire sticks and four pixel arches via a single N Bridge and matching router without any issue. I did take them out of the picture only because people kept trying to login to it's own private network which would result in a slow down. Security was enabled and passworded of course but didn't stop people from trying. I gave up and ran a Cat6 outside, not that you have that ability in your case. Ask the city if you can run the wire overhead for the brief term or special permit.

Thanks Jim:  My pixel tree is set up across the street and the township won't allow me to run wire overhead.........

Something I don't understand my files are 35-60 Mg  and the router will stream a say 1-2gb movie so my question why can't it 

keep up with say 35-60 Mb.

If this unit can't do the job is there anything else out there that I'm might not be aware of?

I to though about using a bridge, instead i plan to go with a Raspberry PI.

Ah, yes, I remember the earlier discussion about this.

Back to my earlier question.  What is the capability of the bridge?

Ah, yes, I remember the earlier discussion about this.

Back to my earlier question.  What is the capability of the bridge?

the unit says 1200 Mbps wireless speed

I ran both of my pixel trees, two fire sticks and four pixel arches via a single N Bridge and matching router without any issue. I did take them out of the picture only because people kept trying to login to it's own private network which would result in a slow down. Security was enabled and passworded of course but didn't stop people from trying. I gave up and ran a Cat6 outside, not that you have that ability in your case. Ask the city if you can run the wire overhead for the brief term or special permit.

Already talked to the township and they said NO there concerned that a snow plow truck with the bed raised spreading salt on the street might catch it and cause damage..........I understand their issue they don't want to be responsible for any damage that might occur .

Not an expert, but I believe the 5ghz band on a router has a much shorter distance than the 2.4Ghz band. Try changing it to that and see if it improves.

I to though about using a bridge, instead i plan to go with a Raspberry PI.

How would this Raspberry PI unit hook up to my show computer? 

Would it be in sinc with the rest of the lights ?

How would this Raspberry PI unit hook up to my show computer? 

Would it be in sinc with the rest of the lights ?

Raspberry pi actually runs your whole show. It is very small but very powerful. You load yer sequences onto it then let it go. It uses the Falcon Pi Player so you would have to convert yer LOR sequences to FPP, but you can do that in Xlights. It is sorta like the showtime director.