Light-O-Rama Forums

LOR controller powering dumb rgbs

mpha9c

Is it possible to use a lor 16 channel controller to power a dumb rgb 12v power supply? To run rgb floods? Or would it pull to much power.

Thanks guys

Only if the controller is 12 volt. If it is 120 volt it will fry those RGB's in a heart beat. But you will only get 4 "channels" off that controller. 

Is it possible to use a lor 16 channel controller to power a dumb rgb 12v power supply? To run rgb floods? Or would it pull to much power.

Thanks guys

If what you want to do is control the power for the power supply that is powering several flood lights, yes, but why?

Longer answer later. Gotta get on the road...

OK, now sitting in my seat for the TSO concert to start in 40 minutes, so I have time to give a longer answer.

Let me see if I understand what you're asking. There are two possibilities as I understand it. Option one is a channel off an AC controller that is powering a 12V power supply that has some RGB flood lights directly connected. This would work, but you would really only have On or Off control and likely would have substantial lag (depending on the power supply design). You would not have any control of color of the floods other than if you wired a particular flood with only one or two of the color wires connected.

Option two is to have a channel from an AC controller control power to a 12V power supply that in turn is powering a DC controller, which is controlling the channels of the floods. This would also work, but why would you do it?

Why I want todo this. Is it fixes a quick problem. I want to control the power to the 12v power supply which powers the rgb lights. So k6ccc to answer your question your 2nd thought is what in trying to do.

I have a jsys1 d2 and it loses connection to the dumb rgb control board. If I unplug the unit it reset everything and the j1sys reconnects to the board and works. It seems as long as I have signal going to the board I don't have an issue. As soon as signal stops after a period it loses connection again.

With that said does anyone have a better option for me?

• The topic was locked