Light-O-Rama Forums

Using LOR1602WG3 with 1.31 DMX

MikeSD

I haven't plugged in my 1602 since last year.  Seems I needed a 485 adapter to use with USB. Can't find that adapter this year. But no matter, since I want to use it a different way this year.

This year, I'd like to connect the LOR to my 1.31 DMX network, because of the large number of traditional lights, in my RGB pixel displays.  My problem is how to connect it.

I have seen instructions for making a special cable (crossover) from a standard RJ-45 Ethernet cable.

Question: Can I use a crossover cable, and go directly from my Ethernet port on my computer, to the LOR RJ45 connector inside the 1602, without using any 485 adapters?

If not, why not?

If not, what is the proper way to go from PC Ethernet port to LOR?

I really don't want to get into a discussion on the best software and what I'm trying to do, or whether there's a better way. I simply want to know the electrical connection between PC RJ-45 to an LOR 1602WG3 and whether I can do it with a single cable (with or without crossover), and no 485 adapter?  I have a working 1.31 network. I'd just like to be able to use my LOR1602WG3 controller in that network, and need to know what cable setup is required, including any adapters, if any.

Edited by MikeSD

LOR uses the protocol that Ethernet uses, but does require the special RS485 dongle to convert that signal so the LOR Hardware can function using it.  

A direct connection to your computer Ethernet port and you're probably going to fry the Ethernet port and possibly even more damage to your computer, and possible damage to the controller{s} connected.

Sorry, but you absolutely need an LOR USB485 adapter to talk to your LOR Hardware, Ethernet ports and switches just can't do it.

Edited by Orville

Ok guess I need to find my adapter and/or order a spare.

But now I have another problem.  EVERY example I have seen, for connecting the LOR to a 1.31 DMX, says that a crossover cable is required.  I know how to make one of those, but the only place it can go is between my adapter and the LOR.  But that leaves the other end of the dongle a USB connection.  Is there no way to do this, without still using USB?

The other example I have seen (youtube video Vt7LS9otQs4), shows the crossover going between the adapter and the DMX controller.  But the other end of the adapter is USB and there is no USB on the LOR controller, so that is very confusing.  So, can someone show me a detailed description of how a connection would go... like this but correct.

PC_RJ45_Output ---->Cable1----> 485Adapter ----> cable2 ----> LOR1602WG3

Cable 2 seems to be the Ethernet (with crossover).  But I'm trying to do this, without needing USB. Can cable 1 be Ethernet?  If so, is there an adapter with RJ45 on either end?  Very confusing. I haven't seen anyone mention needing USB, when using LOR with DMX.

LOR uses the protocol that Ethernet uses, but does require the special RS485 dongle to convert that signal so the LOR Hardware can function using it.

A direct connection to your computer Ethernet port and you're probably going to fry the Ethernet port and possibly even more damage to your computer, and possible damage to the controller{s} connected.

Sorry, but you absolutely need an LOR USB485 adapter to talk to your LOR Hardware, Ethernet ports and switches just can't do it.

Ethernet is a link layer protocol in the TCP/IP stack, describing how networked devices can format data for transmission to other network devices on the same network segment, and how to put that data out on the network connection.

RS485 Specs here: http://www.rs485.com/rs485spec.html

Light-O-Rama uses the RS485 protocol. It has the ability to export data in other formats such as DMX. However the default is RS485 ... which is not ethernet.

Your statement that "LOR uses the protocol that Ethernet uses" is not correct. You need the adaptor when you convert to RS485 for the LOR controllers to listen to. If you are sending out to DMX, then you need a device that will output DMX.

Don,

No offense but that is useless nerd information (re: my question).  Can you address my question, in simple terms of what cabling is required, from PC running DMX sequences all the way to the LOR?

Edited by MikeSD

Your video is for using an LOR adapter to dmx device. LOR uses pins 4 & 5. The dmx device used pins 1 & 2 hence the "cross-over" cable. The same would apply if you were going from a dmx dongle to an LOR controller but the cross-over would be reversed. Same cable....just flip it around.

Now if you want to use e1.31 to your LOR devices, you need a bridge to accomplish this. This bridge will basically convert the e1.31 signal to RS485 dmx. This type of signal is what LOR controllers can understand. I just used this same scenario with a customer display. Google e1.31 bridge. There are many out there.

Also some e1.31 boards already has RS485 dmx outputs built-in like the pixcon16. So you get both worlds from a single board.

Don,

No offense but that is useless nerd information (re: my question).  Can you address my question, in simple terms of what cabling is required, from PC running DMX sequences all the way to the LOR?

No offense taken. You'd be amazed at the number of people who think that LOR uses 'ethernet' because it uses network cables. Just trying to prevent people from damaging their computer or LOR gear. If that came off as useless geek information, my apologies.

Looks like Kevin has some good information for you.

Everyone is providing a lot of useful information.  However, it's getting close to Christmas.  I don't need to understand everything there is to know about Christmas lights.  I just need to know the recipe to get my equipment working, for this year, in time. I can learn the other stuff as needed.

My working hardware: Raspbery PI, Falcon Player, San Devices e682

My extra hardware: LOR1602WG3 Controller

I do my sequencing with Vixen.  I have a Raspberry PI, running Falcon Player, dmx system of lights.  That's not going to change, this year.

I also have an LOR1603WG3 controller, that's controlling standard lights and the 485 adapter (somewhere).

I want to integrate that into my existing system.  I simply need to know what the cabling requirements are, between PI and LOR1602. Nothing more; nothing less?  If I need the "bridge" so be it.  But if this can be done without the bridge, using my existing stuff, I prefer to go that way.  I know I can control the LOR using other software but I want to do it via Vixen.  So, is there a simple way to do this with my existing equipment?  USB cables, Ethernet cables, the 485 adapter, LOR, etc?

What would the whole setup look like? Diagram?

Edited by MikeSD

E1.31 requires

PI->NIC -> Network cable -> Ethernet Hub - Network Cable -> E1.31 (Ethernet Networkable) Controller

or

PI->NIC -> Crossover Network Cable -> E1.31 (Ethernet Networkable) Controller

Edited by HowardShank

But he wants to use lor controllers in dmx not E1-31 if the PI has a port that sends out a DMX signal then he just needs a crossover cable for the first lor box only.

The Raspberry Pi with the falcon Player can drive a LOR dongle, you just have to configure it.

The LOR controller can understand DMX E1.11 (DMX over RS485)

A port on your E682 can be configured to output DMX E1.11 (DMX over RS485) and drive your LOR controller.

But basically, IF you want to run the LOR controller using E1.31 protocol (DMX over ethernet) you need a E1.31 to E1.11 DMX  bridge.

DO NOT plug your LOR controller directly into an ethernet port, it will fry either the LOR controller, or the network device you plug it into.

Tim

I saw that the e682 can run a wired 485 DMX but was not sure if that was the same as what the LOR requires.  Plus, it's only 2 wire I think.  Anyone know what the wiring might be between the wired DMX and the LOR?  How many wires, by signal name, are needed?  I guess I'll ask San Devices.

I have just ordered a couple spare USB to 485 adapters, in case I can't find my other one.  Listening to other people, it seems that I don't need a bridge. Or at least they didn't mention it.   Clearly one could be used though.  Something like this, in words and graphics.

One PI, connected the normal way for my 1.31 stuff

PI ---> Cat5 ---> e682 ---> Lights

Then, in Vixen, create a 2nd controller by selecting OPENDmx for the LOR controller.  Specify the number of channels and configure, I guess.  I tried this and it said nothing to configure.  So not sure how data gets to the USB.  Does OpenUSB imply something that's not obvious?

PI ---> USB ---> 485Adapter ---> Cat5 (crossover) --> LOR1602WG3 ---> Lights

Apparently, one can select OpenDMX in Vixen, and create a 2nd controller for the LOR. But I'm still not sure how it specifically addresses the channels, or is routed to USB. That's a bit confusing.  Then, when I move the sequence to the PI, I guess that LOR controller gets setup there also.   Has anyone here actually used the LOR with the PI, in this way?

I understand what you're trying to do and everybody's giving you too much information. If you can get your e682 bord to put out a DMX signal you can use that to run your lor controller. Pi > e1.31 > e682 > DMX > LOR

Yes, someone on the LOR site told me the same thing. I have a group of connectors that can put out DMX.  Something about wiring the blue wires and making a jumper change.  Looking into that right now. I assume something in the e682 setup page would push those channels to that connector and the LOR would understand it.  Not sure about the cable between the e682 and the LOR. Working on that angle right now.

I did find my 485 adapter though.  Going to also see if I can run the LOR directly from Vixen by making a crossover, just in case the e682 option doesn't work. But it is by easiest solution.

Thanks,

Edited by MikeSD

Once you set everything up the LOR controller will be operated as just another DMX device. You have to start with hooking up the e682 to a computer and configure a extra DMX universe.

Sorry I sent that late

I'm not familiar with that 682 bored so I looked at the manual. I didn't like what I saw you can output DMX signal but you lose 4 SPI outputs. Most of the boards and have a separate DMX output that can be turned on and configured.

I just used a 6804 (similar setup to the 682) as a dmx bridge. You can do the same with the 682 but you do lose 4 ports. Being that it's config in groups of 4....all 4 would be dmx via RS485.

I think the easier and simplest with your current hardware you listed get a LOR adapter. It's only for 1 controller....why go through the trouble of e1.31 bridge for 1 controller.

Edited by CLD Kevin