Light-O-Rama Forums

please help!

wyogutter1633

I'm running way behind and need help. I have two controllers. One from last year and a new one this year. When I run the hardware utility it says it is unable to find controller. It works for one but not the other. It will still turn the light on and off but won't find. What am I doing wrong?? Thank you in advance.

Also do I need to renew my license too?

do you have your unit ID's set ? and in the HU, did you set the max number of units greater than or equal to 2? and when daisy chaining, are you connecting the computer to the LAST controller?

Edited by craigsrobotics

I set my new controllers id to #2. The one from last year should still be #1. I connected the computer to the first controller. Yes units are set to 10.

Will the controllers work when you play sequences? If so, don't worry about the HU and what it finds or doesn't find.

Can we back track a little here. What controllers are you using? Do they have the ID switches or are they (PC) type CTB 16 PC or CTB 16 Ds. If you have the PC version they have to be flashed to the eprom with the ID you want. Does your PC recognize a comm port when in the HU?  

Marty

They are of versions. It will recognize a comm port for one controller but not the other. Sequences won't play but lights will turn on thru hu

Pc versions**

Do the controllers need to be conected in order...pc to #1, #1 daisy chained to #2. I'm just having trouble with #1 saying it is unable to find. I plug #2 in and it finds in on comm3.

To clarify, You are using PC versions? If so, What I have done since I only have 2 PC versions and 10 D versions. I would just hook up one controller at a time to set the ID. I had trouble linking them when I had both linked. Set what ID you want as long at it is not the same as any other one. If you did not try this first, do so now. Your PC will setup the comm port of the PC to communicate with your controller. If you are successful doing this for both units independently then you can set up each one's ID by itself on you PC. See what happens.

plug in each controller one at a time to hardware utility to see if the hardware utility sees them  if it sees them one at a time the connect them together

I forgot to ask if the LEDs were lit or functioning. If the LED is off, this usually means you have no power to the unit. The right side of the 16 channel controller must have power for the system to control. Sometimes the right fuse blows cutting off the power. 

I hooked up each one separate. It found the new controller and I set it too #2. It will not find the first controller at all. Thank you so much. Hope I can figure this out.

The order of the controllers does not matter, neither does the ID, as long as they are unique. (you can skip ID's)

your software will not expire.

So lets get some basic information:

What type of controllers do you have ?

What type of RS485 device do you have ? (which LOR dongle)

What type of cables are you using to connect the controllers ?

Which version of the software are you running ?

Have you tested each controller seperatly ?

Does the LED stay steady when the controller is hooked up to the computer when the Hardware utility is running ?

Have you tried different cables ?

Have you tried a reset of the controller by removing the jumper on the board and power cycling the controller, then putting the jumper back ?

I suggest you test each controller by itself first.    That will help you isolate if you have a bad controller.  then go from there.

Tim

The led light is on. I can turn on all lights thru the HU consuls button of that makes a difference

On both Controllers ?

Yes. Question? What do I need to do to control lights in the editor? It will not run lights when I play a sequence. This is among everything else that is going wrong too

In the H/U set it to look for all units up to 99 and then refresh to look for your old unit. I have had one change it's ID to a number outside the search before.

To Play a sequence out of the Editor:

Make sure the LOR network is defined in the Network Preferences tab.  It sounds like yours should be set to COM3 based on your previous notes.

You MUST start the LOR control panel in order to control lights

Then make sure control lights is set in the sequence editor  (under play control lights)

Make sure you have your channels properly assigned in the channel configuration   (tools > channel configuration)

Tim