Light-O-Rama Forums

RGB Flood lights hacked?

nanorock4

I was looking online at various RGB flood lights by various sellers and many have those color changer remotes and are line voltage. Has anyone bought one and converted it to use with a controller such as the CMB24-D. At LOR we only can choose the 10 w or 50 w floods but there are other values out there like 20 w and 30 w and looking at an average lumen chart, 10 w LED is about the same as a 40 w incandescent. 20 w LED is 75 to 100 W ish , and a 50 w LED is aprox 150 w incandescent. I know you still need to look at the actual product for lumen output and also depends on color as well. Just looking for more  energy usage/ light options and if anyone has tried one of these RGB floodlight modifications bypassing the built in controller.

I know it has been done, not with LOR but with DIY boards. Not sure how they did it, but i will see if i can find the article.

The LOR floods and those ones are normally quite similar.

If you find ones that run on 12v then all you need is a driver board and it will connect to an RGB controller such as the CMB24D.

Their existing controllers may even have driver boards so you just need to find the correct wire and connect your controller to it.

Also, have a look online. You can find the floodlights with the wires for an RGB controller all wired up just like the LOR one. Look on Ray Wu's store.

The LOR floodlights are very good though, and LOR's support is good. However if you really want a different wattage then you can find others that will work.

Absolutely, Here is a link (from this forum) on hacking LED floods.

I hacked 30 of them and going on their 3rd season with no problems.

I and a few others have provided info and pics in this thread.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/26405-10w-rgb-flood-light-reverse-engineering/?hl=%20reverse%20%20engineering%20%20flood

Not all the floodlights use 12 volts. I've hacked quite a few of them. For the 24 volt units I use the power supply that came with it and install a DMX controller capable of 24 volts. The main thing here is don't bypass the final resistors to the LED unit. The resistors are there to balance the colors. Each color has a different current draw and you need to keep the resistors in line otherwise it just won't work

The main thing here is don't bypass the final resistors to the LED unit. The resistors are there to balance the colors.  you need to keep the resistors in line otherwise it just won't work

That isn't totally true. The red does need a resistor to keep within range but the blue and green do not when using power around 11vdc in a 12v LED flood.

Mine have worked for 3 years now.

Edited by Santas Helper

1983ss454 How many floods are you using in your Halloween clip. Is it two for every section? I see two on the garage door. Is that the same spacing for all? And are these 10 W RGB? I'm just trying to figure out the brightness and color wash.

That isn't totally true. The red does need a resistor to keep within range but the blue and green do not when using power around 11vdc in a 12v LED flood.

Mine have worked for 3 years now.

I understand that it's not completely true I was trying to keep the information simple. Plus with the variations of different lights you could buy on Amazon and eBay I was going to error to the safe side.

1983ss454 How many floods are you using in your Halloween clip. Is it two for every section? I see two on the garage door. Is that the same spacing for all? And are these 10 W RGB? I'm just trying to figure out the brightness and color wash.

2 on the left front of the house, one on the side next to it, 3 on the porch and 2 on the garage door, so 8 total. Could probably do with less, but chases look nicer with more lights. And yes these are the 10w lights that are in the thread that Santas helper posted off of eBay. This video shows where each of them are

Can take pictures of placement if you need, I still have them out for Christmas. And they are running off a LOR 24 Channel DC board

Edited by 1983ss454

2 on the left front of the house, one on the side next to it, 3 on the porch and 2 on the garage door, so 8 total. Could probably do with less, but chases look nicer with more lights. And yes these are the 10w lights that are in the thread that Santas helper posted off of eBay. This video shows where each of them are

Can take pictures of placement if you need, I still have them out for Christmas. And they are running off a LOR 24 Channel DC board

I like the wash on everything but the garage....Is that a distance thing? Seams like they are not quite reaching the top of the garage and it is dark at the top. Most likely will not be the same in my instance as I am planning on using them mounted to the underside roof of my porch pointing down about 5' from the house wall. I am planning on one about every 10' or so.

post-16510-0-28171700-1449244142_thumb.p

Edited by nanorock4

The ones in front of the house are all mounted on poles about 4-5 feet in the air. The ones in the driveway are just mounted to 2x4's. I was nervous about the wife hitting them with her car SUV so I kept them low. When I had some higher ones she bumped it. So now if she does they won't break. Honestly on your house you might need up to 10 to get a good wash and that will leave your 2nd story dark

The ones in front of the house are all mounted on poles about 4-5 feet in the air. The ones in the driveway are just mounted to 2x4's. I was nervous about the wife hitting them with her car SUV so I kept them low. When I had some higher ones she bumped it. So now if she does they won't break. Honestly on your house you might need up to 10 to get a good wash and that will leave your 2nd story dark

Yes I plan on just covering the porches the first go around..The RGB floods are going to be my first step for lights to music. I am looking to use 20 w floods to keep the count down to 8 with good strong color wash. I will add floods to the second floor on a later date. I'm still plain boring static lights at the moment but planing my projects and builds for next year.

Yes I plan on just covering the porches the first go around..The RGB floods are going to be my first step for lights to music. I am looking to use 20 w floods to keep the count down to 8 with good strong color wash. I will add floods to the second floor on a later date. I'm still plain boring static lights at the moment but planing my projects and builds for next year.

I just posted info on modifying/hacking 30w floods you may be interested in.

http://forums.lightorama.com/index.php?/topic/39001-30w-36v-rgb-flood-light-modification-and-controller/

cjcruz Thanks for the update. Looks like I need to just figure out the resistor combination. How did you get that? Was it trial and error or is there a way to know what resistor to use for RGB to make it work correctly. I am planing on one of these controllers to run my 8 floods

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/27channel-9groups-easy-dmx512-decoder-DC12-24V-input-constant-voltage-PWM-output-with-XLR-RJ45-interface/701799_2011386319.html

I figure about $32 per 30 W flood, plus $50 for the controller (add on power supply price, enclosure, and misc connectors and parts) still pretty cheap to run 8 30 w RGB floods to cover the lower portion of my house. I will need 5 more later to cover the second floor area above my main porch.

cjcruz Thanks for the update. Looks like I need to just figure out the resistor combination. How did you get that? Was it trial and error or is there a way to know what resistor to use for RGB to make it work correctly. I am planing on one of these controllers to run my 8 floods

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/27channel-9groups-easy-dmx512-decoder-DC12-24V-input-constant-voltage-PWM-output-with-XLR-RJ45-interface/701799_2011386319.html

I figure about $32 per 30 W flood, plus $50 for the controller (add on power supply price, enclosure, and misc connectors and parts) still pretty cheap to run 8 30 w RGB floods to cover the lower portion of my house. I will need 5 more later to cover the second floor area above my main porch.

I was lucky the 1st flood I bought had resistors. I took voltage readings before and after each resistor. After hacking flood light I took voltage reading again. They were very close to my original readings. My other 5 floods I bought didn't have resistors as they were built into the LED driver. I picked up those resistors on ebay.

I'm not too familiar with the controller you want to use. It's looks like the max input is 24v. I wouldn't try to connect a 36v power supply to it. I like the LOR CMB24D. It's more plug n play plus I get support if needed.

Next spring or summer I may try hacking a 50w flood. Probably higher voltage and would need a different controller.