Light-O-Rama Forums

Can't get LOR Hardware utility to connect to CTB16PC g3...help!

freudhawk

I am trying to get my 2 LOR controllers to connect to the LOR Hardware Utility (Demo version as I'm using Vixen 3 to sequence) to change the Unit IDs. Unfortunately, I have not be able to get it to connect. I have tried connecting using the ethernet port directly to the controller and using an enntec pro DMX dongle as well. The system will recognize the dongle as COM7 but find nothing connected to it. HElp!!!

Never ever ever connect the controller to the ethernet port on your computer! The HU speaks LOR which is RS485, you must use a USB485 to plug the controller into the the computer to use the HU.

I only connected one of the controllers to the Ethernet port, so that doesn't explain why I couldn't connect to the other one or why it would not connect before I tried that.

Of note, if I unplug the controllers (but leave dongle in USB) when trying to connect to the HU, the computer makes the noise it always does when something gets removed from the USB. So, it seems like the computer is seeing something.

Personally I still believe you can not set controller ID's with the DEMO version.    The demo won't control lights, therefore that tells me the DEMO CAN NOT see the controller{s}, because if you could see the controller in the HWU, then you would also be able to control lights.      And I couldn't set controllers in the DEMO version when I started, I had to have a license before I could do it.

I still think the OP is going to need a software license from LOR before they can set the controller ID's on them.

Someone feel free to jump in and correct me but I believe the only dongle you can use with the hardware utility for changing controller addresses is one of those sold by LOR.

Tom

Someone feel free to jump in and correct me but I believe the only dongle you can use with the hardware utility for changing controller addresses is one of those sold by LOR.

Tom

I think you are correct Tom.   Without the LOR RS485 dongle I don't think the software can communicate with the hardware either, and I still firmly believe the DEMO version, since it can't control lights, can't set unit ID's on the Controllers either.     But only the LOR folks would know for 100% sure whether either case is truly fully correct.

Just know I couldn't do it when i started, and I'd still believe if you can't control lights, how could you change the controller ID?  But I don't know how the HWU does that, so it may be possible in the DEMO version, but like you said, it may require an RS485 dongle from LOR as an ordinary Ethernet connection isn't going to do it, and like I previously stated, the hardware IS NOT Ethernet, so I'd think a LOR RS485 dongle of some kind would definitely be required to do it.   You can't use any type of Ethernet device with or on the LOR Controllers, just won't work.

I had a LOR adapter shipped to me that should arrive today. Can I use the adapter with other sequencing software?

The adapter is nothing but a USB to RS485 adapter. I can work for anything that can communicate through it.