Light-O-Rama Forums

Power Issue on Pixels

BlackwolfK9

Have 3 50 node strings, first 50 from controller is all good, power is injected after the 3rd 50 from the same power supply, but getting serious flickering on the 2nd and 3rd 50.  Voltage on power injection at the power supply is 11.73 volts and at end of wire where its being injected is 11.67 volts.  Those seem ok to me, but obviously there is a power issue.

Yeah, its 3 candy canes in a row, I injected power at the end of the 3rd one.  Does injecting between 2 and 3 make it different?

Yes. Think this way. Power should never have to travel through on strip or string. The traces on the strips and wires on the strings are pretty small, and not intended to carry the current for more than the string or strip itself. By sourcing power at the beginning and end of 3 strips, the power for the middle of strip 2 has to travel through 1.5 strips. Make sense?

Assuming these are in groups of 3 serially, you should be injecting power between the 2nd and 3rd strings

what this guy said.  Also, if you use heavier gauge wire, you might be able to get a run of 150 pixels without any injection. Depends on spacing, though....

what all these guys said :D

Injection should be between 2nd and 3rd cane but if it is at the end, your 3rd cane should work fine at the least. So this makes me wonder about data signal.

You did not mention how far between candy canes there is?

The 12' between them should be OK, depending on the gauge wire you're using. You might try a null pixel in between each cane, but I don't think you would need it. Again, the wire gauge and if it's stranded. If so, is it a bunch of tiny strands or a few thicker strands. 18 gauge and 16 gauge, tiny stranded has worked well for me in the last 3 years

I agree though, you probably need more power. At a minimum, between the 2nd and 3rd. Personally, I would inject power between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3, but that's my preference.

I'm using Cat5e cable for all my cables, I twist the pairs together and use them as one.  So power is going down one twisted pair.  Is Cat5e not robust enough.  Also from my controller to the first cane is about 50 feet.  Is stranded wire better than solid?  What wire should I be using from my controller to the first cane?

Edited by BlackwolfK9

50 feet from the first pixel to the controller is a long ways. I'm doing it here but using Ray Wu's extensions and they are I believe 20awg wire for each.

Would replacing the cat5 from the controller to first pixel with larger 4 core wire help the problem.  When I take out the first candy can and connect from controller to the second one, all pixels are fine and this is with 0 null pixels.

Edited by BlackwolfK9

There are numerous places online that are less expensive than places like Lowes and etc...but takes time to receive. That 50 foot run probably needs to be 18 or even 16 awg wire. 16 would be better but more costly. Then if running in series, you would need a separate power feed out there and I would suggest 16awg.

If using Cat5 for cable runs for pixels, should you twist the like pairs together or using just a single one.  For instance, should I twist orange and orange/white together to make one cable for data or does the twist in the cat5 cause some sort of magic problem?

Would replacing the cat5 from the controller to first pixel with larger 4 core wire help the problem.  When I take out the first candy can and connect from controller to the second one, all pixels are fine and this is with 0 null pixels.

What pixels and controller do you have that require 4 core wire?

I run 44' from controller to first pixel using 22 gauge wire with no problem. I am surprised at that too but I am living proof of the power of the e6804.

I still think 12' is too much. I cant go 9' between pixels without a null. (im using strips).

you will need to trouble shoot. First thing I would do is shorten cane 1 and cane 2 to about 1 or 2 feet. If that works then you may want to try heavier wire to get your 12'.

This is just MHO. 

I found this year using Cat5e from controller to first pixel was a terrible idea, for me anyway. My 3 runs were all < 15' from controller, the first pixels were red on a 100% white intensity. When I changed from the Cat5e to the flat, 3 Conductor, wire, my problem went away. Here's the exact wire I use: http://www.holidaycoro.com/4-Conductor-18-AWG-Extension-Wiring-RGB-Lights-p/695.htm&Click=670

Oh, and I did not use a null pixel for the longest run of about 14'. Strips however, are a different animal and may need a null.

I know there have been numerous folks using Cat5e for there connection, so obviously I did something wrong and twisted the wrong wires or something.

Saxon, The 4 core speaker cable is what a lot of us use. http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10239&cs_id=1023903&p_id=4041&seq=1&format=2 

As far as I've found, I can only find it in 2 or 4 or above. I use this for power injection if I need 2 or more injection points that are close. Case in point, the bursts and fan in the picture below. Otherwise, I use 2 core in the White PVC jacket for injection.

Edited by Ron Boyd