Light-O-Rama Forums

Controller turning off?

stawski88

Hi!

I am running two controllers, 16 channels each. I have one controller (let's say controller A) connected to the other (controller B ) via Ethernet cable, and the other (controller B ) connected to the wireless transmitter. I have LOR on my CPU and can find both controller, and control them, from hardware utility.

I have a animation that is all channels on for 1 min with a loop.

Show editor has my all on sequence as animation, and shutdown sequence (all off) on shutdown.

My schedule editor has the show, Sun-Sat 4:45pm to 9:30pm (still working on musical sequences and not ready so just all on until I get them buttoned up).

I enable shows and all channels come one. After about 2 min (time varies) all channels connected to controller B turn off. My sequence is set to keep all on and loop. I cannot figure out what the issue is.

I tried editing sequences, shows, schedules, and controlling from hardware utility. I can't get it working right...any suggestions?

Edited by stawski88

Some additional information - 

I am able to turn all lights on for each controller using the hardware utility.  I am using a set-up that I made last year to turn on all lights.  I tried making a new sequence with my new set-up (only difference is channel names in sequence editor) and I couldn't get it the lights to come on.  The status says the shows are enabled and that the sequence/show is being played - but no lights come on.  When I revert to the all-on sequence I made last year, the show plays but like I said above, one controller seems to turn off after some time.  

I have not tried any musical sequences yet - I suppose I could take a musical sequence I downloaded and turn all channels on, add a loop, and not transmit over FM.  I may give that a shot tonight.

I did not modify the setup inside the controllers from last year (had no issues last year) so I don't think there is anything wrong at the controllers.  

I am stumped because they are communicating, just not following the sequence I have created.

The power is not being interrupted to the controllers, I am not tripping any breakers.

If i disable shows, sometimes controller A stays on even though shows have been disabled.  I have to open hardware utility to manually turn it off.  <- I think this may be a contributor to the problem?

I'd like to set it up where I can use the all-on sequence as a show that way when I am ready to add musical sequences I won't have to change any settings aside from show editor and sequence editor.

Edited by stawski88

Update

Time varies but typically happens at the loop. Controller A and B both randomly turn off, typically controller B. In some instances both turn off.

I've removed the shutdown sequence from the show...no progress.

Something isn't right.

Please, someone help!!

Sounds like a communication problem to me.

Have you tried swapping out the Cat5 cables?

How about eliminating the ELL and hook your first controller directly to the computer?

Jerry

Sounds like a communication problem to me.

Have you tried swapping out the Cat5 cables?

How about eliminating the ELL and hook your first controller directly to the computer?

Jerry

I didn't try swapping out Cat5 or connecting directly to CPU because I am able to control the lights no problem through hardware utility.  

If i disable shows, sometimes controller A stays on even though shows have been disabled.  I have to open hardware utility to manually turn it off.  <- I think this may be a contributor to the problem?

That "can't" happen. If it does, then there is something wrong with the controller.

Whenever a LOR program that can control the lights (Hardware Utility, Sequence Editor, Show Player) is running, and can control the lights, it sends a "heartbeat" signal on the network. When the controller doesn't receive the heartbeat signal for about 2 seconds, it starts flashing the status light, and turns off all channels.

If your controller does not behave like this, then there is either some spurious signal on the network that looks like a heartbeat, or there is something wrong with your controller.

I just thought of something: If the controller is a 1602, or one that is not a "PC" version, it could have a stand-alone sequence that plays even when there is no signal (heartbeat) on the network. You didn't specify the model of controller you have, so this possibility needs to be mentioned.

A couple of things caught my attention...
I tried making a new sequence with my new set-up (only difference is channel names in sequence editor) and I couldn't get it the lights to come on.

I am a little confused on what you are trying to do...

Did you add a new controller? Have you check the Control lights (sorry I forget what the exact wording or location of this setting)

Are you just turning on all the lights?

I think the issue might be in the sequences or scheduling.

Find and download a 32 channel sequence then add it to a NEW show and try playing that. If it works then you know it is the sequence.

That "can't" happen. If it does, then there is something wrong with the controller.

Whenever a LOR program that can control the lights (Hardware Utility, Sequence Editor, Show Player) is running, and can control the lights, it sends a "heartbeat" signal on the network. When the controller doesn't receive the heartbeat signal for about 2 seconds, it starts flashing the status light, and turns off all channels.

If your controller does not behave like this, then there is either some spurious signal on the network that looks like a heartbeat, or there is something wrong with your controller.

I just thought of something: If the controller is a 1602, or one that is not a "PC" version, it could have a stand-alone sequence that plays even when there is no signal (heartbeat) on the network. You didn't specify the model of controller you have, so this possibility needs to be mentioned.

I will post equipment when I get back tonight.  I am able to control the controllers and lights utilizing the hardware utility with no problems.  I think the controller(s) may have issues, specifically because of your first statement.  On several occasions, after an error had occurred I disabled shows and had to open the hardware utility to turn off some (or all) lights.

A couple of things caught my attention...

I tried making a new sequence with my new set-up (only difference is channel names in sequence editor) and I couldn't get it the lights to come on.

I am a little confused on what you are trying to do...

Did you add a new controller? Have you check the Control lights (sorry I forget what the exact wording or location of this setting)

Are you just turning on all the lights?

I think the issue might be in the sequences or scheduling.

Find and download a 32 channel sequence then add it to a NEW show and try playing that. If it works then you know it is the sequence.

I had no problems last year using an all-on sequence with the exact same set-up.  This year, I changed where the lights are on my house, added lights, and removed lights.  I opened the all-on sequence from last year in the sequence editor and only changed the name of each channel to reflect the new/removed lights/locations.  While running this sequence in the same show I created last year, I am now having this problem of controllers turning on and off channels on its own.

I have not opened the controllers to check the status lights.

Right now, I am only turning all lights on.

I downloaded several 32 channel sequences from this website - I will try adding them into the show editor and playing them to see if the issue continues - but like I said, last year with the same sequence I didn't have the problems I am having now.

I leave the controllers outside (with ELL) year-round.  They are protected from elements - but maybe some moisture found its way into them.

One thing that comes to my mind is you changed the channel button info, but did you also physically change the controller and ID to match your *NEW* setup.  Because if you didn't, you may actually be running the sequence just as the controllers see it, and you may have duplicate controller ID and channels assigned, which can contribute to this issue.

Have you run the LOR Verifier to see what errors it generates?   It'll tell you real fast if you have duplicated channels and controllers in a sequence, as well as a host of other info.

One other thing that did catch my attention in your original post, and hoping it was just an error in thinking when you typed that and you really didn't do this.  You said you have the controllers connected to an "Ethernet" port, this will, and can blow a controller real quick.  LOR Controllers use the RS485 protocol and ARE NOT Ethernet compatible and should never be connected directly via your computers Ethernet jack!   If you did that, I'd be very surprised if they'd control lights at any time, and if it did, you may have done some damage to your controllers which will require a trip back to LOR to repair.  You need one of the LOR USB485 adapters to talk to the controllers.

You said you have the controllers connected to an "Ethernet" port, this will, and can blow a controller real quick.  LOR Controllers use the RS485 protocol and ARE NOT Ethernet compatible and should never be connected directly via your computers Ethernet jack!   If you did that, I'd be very surprised if they'd control lights at any time, and if it did, you may have done some damage to your controllers which will require a trip back to LOR to repair.  You need one of the LOR USB485 adapters to talk to the controllers.

That would more likely destroy the Ethernet interface in the computer. LOR controllers can send a significant amount of current through pins 3 and 6. The puny Ethernet interface would have no chance!

If you leave the controllers outside all year check for critters inside.

That's why I use those foam cover insulators for water lines.   I cut them down and stuff them around where the cat5 enters the controllers.  Seems those are the openings where the critters have the easiest access and can get all the way up to the PCB/Electronics in the controller.  I stuff these on both the interior of the Controller box and the Exterior as well as between the two.  I'm using the LOR Controllers CTB16PC that were assembled and in the LOR boxes,  

And ever since I've done this, I've not had any "critters" inside my controllers with the exception of a spider or two in a web, seems those critters can crawl through the smallest spaces.  But the spiders have always stopped and built their web just above the area where the dangles enter the controller box, haven't found any higher than that or behind, near the electronics.

Been using this method for 4 years now, seems to work very well.

That would more likely destroy the Ethernet interface in the computer. LOR controllers can send a significant amount of current through pins 3 and 6. The puny Ethernet interface would have no chance!

Yes, but I've also read many say it can destroy the controllers electronics too on this forum as well as other places.   And that's what I based my response on.   I've never done it, nor am I about to try and test out that theory.

What version of LOR software are you using? There was a problem with the show editor is a couple of the latest versions of the software. It didn't affect everyone, but enough that they have released a new version with a fix.