Light-O-Rama Forums

new controller

joe b.

i added a new 16 channel controller to my show. i added in the new controller into each song created a new show and when the show runs only one song that already had more channels that i got from a friend of mine works all the other songs nothing from the new controller is working. please help.

Did you give the new controller a new ID?  

When you added the new controller to the show/sequence editor did you properly assign the unit ID and network settings to each channel? Click on one of the new channels you added to your new show, does it show that you've checked off lightorama device checked off? Does it show a unit ID assigned? How about a network?

Did you look inside the controller? Is the light flashing or steady? If it's steady then the computer can see it.

Check your cat5 cords?

How many controllers in your show now? If you now have 3 or more controllers and still have a basic licence you will need to upgrade to basic plus to add up to 4 controllers.

I'd start there,,,

I'm watching the forums while I'm stuck at work so I'll try to help from here as much as I can...

Joe did you set it up in the h w utility?

Did you assign it a unit id?

If I remember correctly, they come pre set to unit 01.

If any of your previous controllers have the 01 id that could be your problem.

yes i set it up correctly all test are working on the console and the one song + the opening when all the lights are on are working during the show. this is what i dont understand why would they work and not the other songs during the show

Edited by joe b.

yes i set it up correctly all test are working on the console and the one song + the opening when all the lights are on are working during the show. this is what i dont understand why would they work and not the other songs during the show

Joe can you send me one of your non working sequences, the audio file for it and your channel configuration file, then I can take a look and see what may be causing your issue.

If you have the Unit ID set and have the proper license level for the number of controllers you have, and have your channel set up to match in your sequences, they should be working.

So I'm thinking something in your channel set up{config file} or the sequence itself may not have something set correctly, and by taking a look at it, I can hopefully locate what your problem is.

I'll send you a PM with my e-mail so I can try and help you out as much as I can.

Haven't heard back from Joe as yet, but I took a look at his channel config file and his sequence he sent me, I did find that he had some channel buttons assigned to Controller 03, but the actual Channel config showed they were assigned to a "duplicate" Controller 01.   I updated his sequence by changing the second Controller 01's to 03.    This should have corrected his controller not lighting the lights since he was sending the buttons labeled with the prop and controller 03 to controller 01.

I think what happened, which could happen to anyone that may not be as familiar with the LOR software as some, but this could happen to best of us too, he added in his new controller 03 by adding into the SE, the SE {DEFAULTS to Controller 01, Channels 1-16}, so you have to go back and manually change all those to Controller 03 in the Channel config section under the tools tab.   If you catch it when you add controller, you can set the Controller ID to the new controller, but sometimes you just get in a hurry to set things up and overlook the obvious.

And we've all done it at some time.

Hopefully after Joe gets a change to test out the new settings in the updated sequence I sent him, we'll all know if this was the issue causing his controller not lighting the lights on it.\

I ran the sequence before the changes, and my controller 03 didn't light anything on it, when I changed the duplicate Controller 01 ID's to 03 and reran the sequence my Controller 03 then responded with lights functioning on all channels assigned lighting commands in the sequence.

Hopefully this has corrected the problems Joe was having.  Again, this is a very easy mistake to make and could happen to any one of us!

• Like 1

Heard back from Joe and all is well.   It was the duplicated Controller 01 that was assigned to Controller 03's lights that were causing the problem of Controller 03 not working.

So it's been resolved.

I've used the verifier, but if the channels don't have a conflict and you have duplicated a controller, that's not always an error.   Don't recall the verifier ever telling me I had duplicated a controller in my sequence.  But may add in a duplicate and run it and double check that.    Just don't recall that popping up as an error that is flagged in red, which is what I specifically look at when running the verifier.   Sometimes folks want a controller to be a "mirror" of another, especially in larger displays, and that's why I don't think the verifier may flag that as an error like other things, missing media files, etc.   Again, will have to add in a duplicate controller, add lighting commands and see if the verifier generates an "duplicated controller error".

Edited by Orville
  • Like 1

Last yr I ran 2 controllers with no problems, this yr I added 2 more just to run 4 leaping arches and when I run my sequences the show runs on a mix of the different controllers. So I took and selected only 1 controller to run and turned off the assignment on the other 3 controllers and ran show this time I am getting lights still showing on multiple controllers even when my show only playing 1 controller any ideas?