Light-O-Rama Forums

Port Not Found on controller #1

Big Sanch Mafia

Thanks for reading,

I started this post on PC last night (http://forums.planetchristmas.com/index.php?/topic/58138-help-please-no-lights-but-i-can-hear-the-music-through-fm-transmittor/%C2'> as this site was down. quick run down i tested all 7 controller in the hardware utility and it find 2-7, not #1. CAT5 cables are good because i tested 2-7 and they were found. i get a pop when trying to auto configure #1 that says "Port not found" (see attached image) 

one other thing if you refer to the 2nd attachment, the little square part that has the arrow pointing to it, i bumped it when i was pulling a cat5 out and noticed the teeth were a bit bent. i fixed them and plug it back in. Not sure if this is the reason. I used this controller for Halloween and the only different was re-inserting that part.

Any thoughts. i do have an extra controller, older version that i can swap with #1. 

it seems like controller #1 is my issue just not sure if its fixable or its shot?

I appreciate your feedback.

Thanks CHad

post-12443-0-81386100-1448735367_thumb.j

post-12443-0-50211000-1448735380_thumb.j

Plug a cable directly into #1 only and nothing else. Launch the HWU (Hardware Utility) and select "Refresh". You shouldn't need to rescan the comm ports. Strange that it finds the comm port when you refresh for 2-7 but not when you are connected to #1. Plugging into #1 only, no change in the comm port selection it'll either find #1 or it won't. If not, plug into the next RJ45 port on unit#1 and refresh again. Also, when plugging in, look at the little green led light in controller. If its flashing, its not communicating. If its solid, then it is or might be partially. If its solid and yet the HWU doesn't find it, shut it off and carefully examine the pins inside of the RJ45 connectors. They are easily damaged. If they are not retracted to their normal positions, you might have to adjust them slightly with magnifying glass, light and tweezers. Insure they are clean too.

dgrant, thank you for the feedback. i had #1 plugged directly into the rj485 port and nothing. i have since now switched #1 with a back up controller. searched the network in HU and now it find 1-4. 5-7 are MIA. so looks like i fixed the first problem but now i lost 5-7. when i plug controller 5,6 and 7 separately into the usb485 they appear fine. 

any thoughts? i'll start changing some cat5 to see if thats it. 

side note, im running some gen 1, gen 2 and gen 3.

just checked, #5 is gen 1..could that have anything to do with it?

Thanks

I have one RJ45 connector in one controller of mine that has lost its soldered connection to the circuit board. I've cabled things so that it's at the end of the daisy chain so I don't need it. After the holidays, I'll fix it. I'm thinking this might be what's going on or you have bad cables. Get the first controller talking to the HWU. Then add the next one, one at a time and stop when it doesn't work. Continue this process to the end of the daisy chain.

Thank u.. At this point I have 1-4 working fine. But iblose signal at #5 which is a gen 1 controller. Maybe it's a network speed thing?

Any trouble shooting at this point you would recommend?

Thanks so much

Did you check inside the cat5 jack and see if all the wires are sticking forward. I had some couple controllers with the wires bent down and they would not receive communication.

Did you check inside the cat5 jack and see if all the wires are sticking forward. I had some couple controllers with the wires bent down and they would not receive communication.

i haven't looked at that yet.. i'll try to take a peak now even tho its dark outside.

i'm think maybe because its gen1 controller that i need to run it on its own network?? not sure just frustrated as crap as my show has been up fpr 2 days and i can only get half of the controllers to work.

ok..finally the show is up and running.

what i found out is that the output for #4 was not working. so i switched controller 7 to 4 and 4 to 7 and it all works.

so the kicker is that my original #1 controller that is gen3 the input port stopped working and the #4 controller that was a Gen3, the output port stopped working. meanwhile the gen 1 and gen 2's work fine. any reason for this. all the prongs on the cat5 ports looked fine.

Thanks

Might be just as one of my Gen3's are, with the one RJ45 has lost a solder connection on the back of the card. Easy to fix once you take it apart but since you're running, leave it alone till after the season.

Might be just as one of my Gen3's are, with the one RJ45 has lost a solder connection on the back of the card. Easy to fix once you take it apart but since you're running, leave it alone till after the season.

good point, i'll look into them next month.

Thanks for your help