Light-O-Rama Forums

CCB dongle extension?

jonathan78

We do not recommend extending the leads for Cosmic Color Bulbs, Pixels, or Ribbons. 

CCDs are digital devices - that means there is not just power running on the wires, but data as well. The timing signals sent across those wires have little room for tolerance and after about 6 feet this becomes a real issue. Best practice is to keep the controller as close to the Cosmic Color Device string as possible.

Mike is the subject-matter expert and his advice should be given all due consideration.

Having said that, I have both 6' and 10' CCB/P (and even CCR) extensions and they all work just fine, and I've had a total of zero data issues while using them.  YMMV

And George is correct.  You probably CAN extend them, but we don't support it and will ask if you contact us with problems.  If you do have an extension we will blame that.  If you cut the cable/ribbon/string you will void the warranty.

George, may I ask what you used to extend them and where you got it from? I really need to add a few feet to each strand. Thanks for the replies.

It's been a few years since then, and you're asking someone who can't remember what day it is. Good luck with that ...

The 6' extensions were made for me by someone for whom I was doing custom sequencing. I made a couple of 10' extensions for a specific application the following year. I found pigtails that match the CCB/P connector and soldered 22 ga alarm cable in between. I haven't a clue where I got the pigtails, but if I tracked them down they've gotta be pretty easy to find.

Edited by George Simmons

• The topic was locked