Light-O-Rama Forums

Triac's

Gary N

I am new to LOR, and I have sean questions about triac's a few times in the forum. I watched the you tube video that lighting up paxton has. 

My question is do triacs go out often, Is there a  reason they go bad. And how much does LOR charge to fix ?

I dont have a problem yet, but tring to avoid one.

Gary

Hi

Yes they fail for several reasons. Too high reverse voltage causes by short circuit or transcient voltages. I have had 3 fail in 13 years. My blowmold reindeer uses c7 lamp. It shorted out due to loose connection or water for in the socket. This was on my roof display. Never had one fail on my ground diplays. I have 14 controllers. And many are 2006 vintage. I build the DIY kits. Excellent quality units.

LOR will repair them or send you the parts. I repair my own. LOR staff is very friendly and helpful but this is the busy season. I buy some parts from other sources as well.

Odd you should say that Marty,  I contacted LOR about some triac's and was told to buy them from mouser, I think it was.  Was told they do not have any at LOR.

I buy the triacs from Digikey. If you need the info on this let me know. I also buy the opto isolators from them also. I have not had any issues with the isolators but bought them just in case. 

Marty

Marty, 

You said that you have a roof display with C7's that water got in the socket and shorted, or reverse voltage. it is because they were covered in snow, or from the rain. I have a holdman star on my roof with 182 C9's, I did brake up the section so the most on one channel is 4.2 amps. I also used fused vampire plugs, the C9's are my only concern in my display because of the amount of amps it does use. So my question is water in the socket will cause a problem, or will the fuses blow out before the triac.

BTM I live in northern wisconsin now, but I lived in Cicero most of my life. 

Gary

Gary

Here is Digikey's P/N for BTA16-600BWRG.

So you have two choices. 

My issue is not snow but rain or maybe a loose connection in the socket. This can cause electrical noise or transcients in the circuit. It is the only place I have had shorted triac gates.  These triacs have a 600 volt capacity. It is not in the normal state a problem current wise since they only draw around .33 amps each. C9s draw more. Keep your current draw to no more than 75 percent of total draw on any one channel if you are using the high current heat sinked units (8 amp)/ channel. I just started using vampire plugs on some of my displays. Great concept, the weather tonight and tomorrow is rain here suburb of Chicago. Roof will melt so I can repair damage caused by the snow. This goes with the territory! 

Marty

Thanks Marty for the info., hope I will not run into a problem. I ordered a few to be on the safe side. Didnt think of it at the time but I sould have left an open channel or two, will remember for next year.   So I got this right the triac is 25 amp, 600 volt.

Thanks 

Gary

Are those triacs the actual LOR triacs? Is it work for both residential and commercial LOR controllers? I have one residential controller (plastic box) and one showtime commercial controller (metal box), the showtime controller I have one bad triac from this past Halloween that needs to be replace